Easy eastern WA float and cast?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Tony Polizzi, May 11, 2013.

1. Tony Polizzi

Tony Polizzi Active Member

Looking for an eastern Wa float and cast river suggestion. Would like to float with the fam, stop, cast, float. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This would be a raft trip, one over night would be great or same section x2, .Thanks

2. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

As a young man my family floated all over the place with BWET (Boeing Club). The Wenatchee is about the nicest (and easiest) float I recall. With the regs the way they are, your fishing options may be hit or miss.

If you're willing to branch out a bit, I would suggest you contact Minam Raft Rentals and inquire about floating and fishing around Minam Oregon. Grant should be able to cue you in on rafting with the fam, overnight options (he recently bought the Minam Hotel...but there are several camping areas. You'd be an easy 2 hours further away than the east slope of the cascades, but worth a look if the mileage doesn't stop you.

3. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

I believe the Wenatchee is at least class 3 and has claimed lives recently on a commercial rafting trip. If you are truly looking for just a float with fishing there is the Yakima, either up in the canyon below Ellensburg, or the lower Yakima around Benton City and West Richland. I have floated the lower river with the family, some fishing for bass and pikeminnows (on dries), but mostly a lazy float and major sunburn in the middle of summer. Easy to throw the family overboard for some floating and swimming in their life jackets.

Wayne

4. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

And in both cases mind the dams and flows. Low head dams are LETHAL. We ran the Wenatchee under low flows. It's been a long time, but it is where we took new rafters to dosafety training (getting back in the boat, flipping a boat and then flipping back over, etc.)

And if you have never rafted a chunk of water, get local advice.

5. Tony Polizzi

Tony Polizzi Active Member

Yakima it is, thanks you guys, we do have a fair bit of experience, the Yakima sounds great.