Easy Flies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by GUZ808, Jan 28, 2008.

1. CM_Stewart

CM_Stewart Member

Also from FAOL, take a look at the "Too Simple" nymphs. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/alcampbell/ac011204.html and http://www.flyanglersonline.com/alcampbell/ac040504.html

I've found you can simplify them even more by leaving out the legs, and you certainly don't need to use only "Punch" embroidery yarn. If you can find some "heather" or "tweed" wool yarn that has some highlights of a second color in the yarn you can make some very nice looking nymphs. The best I've found is mostly a charcoal color, but with some brown and maroon highlights (leftover from one of my sister's sweater projects, so I don't know the brand or specific color - but it's deadly!). If all you can find is a solid color, that'll work too. http://www.flyfishohio.com/Frank_Sawyer's_Killer_Bug.htm Use tying thread for an unweighted nymph or thin copper wire instead of thread for a weighted nymph. Basically just wrap the yarn around a 1xl nymph hook with extra wraps to make a thicker thorax area. Rough it up with some velcro and you're done. Doesn't get much easier.

2. GUZ808

GUZ808 New Member

I check out that flyanglersonline site. This things got some good stuff to get me started.

3. Kbris

Kbris New Member

I just started tying a few months ago myself. What I've discovered is that there is a plethora of information available on this noble art. The internet is loaded with forums, books, videos, fly fishing and tying websites and a lot of different sources on tools and materials. My favorite source so far is Peter Gathercole's "Beginning Fly tying" from Barron's books. It is a quarto spiral bound book that fits nicely on the bench and is wonderfully presented with step by step color photos with explanations. Peter gives a series of core techniques followed by instructions on how to tie 50 different flies. My 2nd favorite book is Gary Soucie's "Wooly Wisdom". It is an awesome illustrated tome that covers every imaginable woolly worm and woolly bugger in exquisite color and tying recipe detail. A very instructional and entertaining read. Leroy Hyatt an awesome Idaho tyer has a video fly tying series on public tv that can be accessed online, where he shows how to tie a bunch of different patterns. http://www.kwsu.org/Offers/OMNFlyTying.aspx. These videos plus the aforementioned books are enough to keep me busy learning to tie throughout the winter. Finally, The advice given by various board members regarding tools is dead on. I purchased an $80 Danvise from Cabellas and it is perfect for a beginner and then some. Good luck. Once you begin this journey there's no turning back.:eek:

4. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

5. Cliff

Cliff Member

Kbris,

I downloaded several of these free videos. They're pretty good vids. Thanks for the link.

Cliff

6. Tony the Trout

Tony the Trout Member

# 10 hook, red glass bead, black maribou tail, dubbed body with black maribou, wrap with red wire.

works great with olive too. EASY to tie. My friends and I affectionately refer to this fly as "trout crack".

7. GUZ808

GUZ808 New Member

Hey tony sounds great. Could I get a picture of it?

GUZ

8. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

a Maggot probably would have to be the easiest tye followed by a green inch worm.