eating local fish

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dan Page, Apr 3, 2013.

1. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

OMJ,If I had your address I would send you a steelhead in the mail. Not sure how fresh it would be when it got to Dillon.

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I don't eat fish other tan canned Tuna. Don't really care for it. Fish and other seafood I never really cared for. I don't like Clams, Crab, Oysters. Never cared for the flavor.

3. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I'm in Jim's corner. I only eat tuna (usually from a can) and sometimes fresh halibut at a restaurant. Virginia loves sea food and there are plenty of places around here that sell it. If we go to a sea food eatery, I order a hamburger.

I never developed a taste for any fresh water fish. That's why I didn't like fishing as a kid because we had to keep everything we caught so the rest of the family could eat it. There was no point to fishing for me.

It was only when I started flyfishing and releasing everything I caught that I started to enjoy fishing.

I will kill hatchery steelhead because I have no problem finding someone to take the fish off my hands.

Each to their own. The ability to eat the fish I catch is not one of my concerns. Perhaps there is an advantage to that. I'm not exactly sure how this thread could somehow become political... weird.

5. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

It became political because the water quality pollutant limits for toxics (like PCB's) are set by human fish consumption rates....which was the actual thread topic...not whether we eat fish or not. If you desire to eventually make fish safe to eat for those that do wish to do so, then the water quality limit hinges on how much fish per time period a particular group wants to ingest. Tribal groups historically (and currently) eat larger quantities of fish than the general population...in some cases those quantities are actually a treaty issue. The higher ingestion rates mean very stringent and costly reductions in allowable toxic discharge concentrations and rates...which municipalties and businesses oppose.

Some of the consumption rates proposed by business interests are ridiculously tiny....approximately the mass represented by a nickel coin each day.

Tribal entities (which essentially have the power of a state to set limits when the contaminated water body runs though their land) and health departments want the ingestion rates higher (and toxics discharge quantities reduced).

You have to remember that the intent of the federal Clean Water Act is to make America's waters swimmable, and fishable....which doesn't mean C&R...it means fish that can be safely eaten. The states must, under threat of federal law, set pollutant limits that accomplish that intent. This really isn't a 'to each their own' kind of issue... hell, I don't eat the damn things either.

This is a huge issue in the Spokane River, with its numerous fish consumption warnings (because fish tissue toxics monitoring in the Spokane River has documented some of the highest levels in the U.S.) due to a variety of toxics....the fix is contentious, costly, and hence very political.

Jim Wallace likes this.
  6. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

It should be noted that fish consumption is only one of several ways water quality standards are determined. For example, ammonia limits in fresh water have nothing to do with fish consumption; ammonia in certain forms is acutely toxic to fish. It doesn't accumulate in their tissues...it interferes with their respiratory systems.

7. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    You folks that like canned tuna should switch to line-caught Albacore from OR and WA offshore waters. The canned stuff I buy from the local small canneries that get their fish from local fishers is infinitely superior to any of the product from the major brands yo see in the supermarket. There's just no comparison.
    I buy it direct from the local small canneries, at their retail outlets. More expensive, but worth it.

8. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

If you're so inclined, you can buy Albacore directly from the boat at Newport Bay in Oregon. Of course that might be a bit of a drive if you live in Montana.

There's also charter boats dedicated to flyfishing if you want to catch your own. Someday I'd like to try that. As I understand it, a tuna takes off like it was shot from a canon once hooked... boating one with fly gear is a challenge.

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Thank you Gene.

Like I said I'm not a Sea Food eater. Like when the wife want Chinese food. I'll order American. I might eat differently, but I like what I like.

I guess that I'm a big fan of meat and potatoes.

10. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Same here. I moved from cattle country to sea food country... I too am more of a fan of meat and potatoes than anything else. Even if I went on a tuna flyfishing trip, I'm still not so sure I'd be up on eating what I caught. I've tried barbecued albacore that was given to me by one of the guys at work who has his own ocean boat and is a tuna catching fool.

I'd rather have a T-bone.

11. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

A truly sad thing is most states, maybe all, have recommended maximum amounts of fish to eat over a period of time for specific lakes and rivers. Growing up in Midwest farm country I remember drinking out of creeks, everybidy did. Now agriculturural and industrial chemicals have touched all waters.
    And what is even more sad is with new GMO agendas farmers can plant herbicide resistant crops that allow even more use of chemicals.
    But, the saddest of all to me is what appears to be little resistance and effort to move to more sustainable methods. Everyone says they want to, but it's not economical. Perhaps life on the planet will become extinct because it is not economical to save it.:(

12. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Mankind will always choose short-term economic benefit over long-term survival. We're just built that way; reactive, not proactive.

And when things go bad, we'll pitch a fit that somebody should have done something about it.

Don't worry, while mankind may go extinct, life on earth will go on just fine for the next several billion years...with or without us.

13. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Dillon Safeway has fresh caught Hoh River steelhead for sale... they're all missing a fin or two, so it's all good!

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

It's not fresh. It's all been frozen at some time.

15. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

And fresh, or frozen, all salmonids taste like shit.

Old Man likes this.