Eating my own words!

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by bitterroot, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

TD - I think I've read that the Trude style was actually designed to go under on the swing. So you cast up and across, let it dead drift all the way down then swing it across just under the surface on a traditional wet fly swing.

I tie and fish softhackles more than anything else because I like catching trout on the swing just like steelhead. Here are a few steelhead softhackle that seemed to work well on low rivers where the fish key on buggy flies.

[​IMG]

Not that anyone would need an S-B-S to a softhackle but here's one I did for my blog on the Primrose & Partridge which is my 'confidence fly' for trout fishing. If they won't take one of these, then I can accept that they just won't take...

Modernized Primrose & Partridge

[​IMG]

Have fun! Tying keeps me sane...

triploidjunkie likes this.
  2. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Great bugs Thomas!

TD, I fish my attractor patterns wet, just submerged, a lot of the time especially on small streams. Sometimes I do the dead drift into the swing but I also sometimes just get them wet right away. Try fishing a green humpy wet sometime and see what happens! I love soft hackles too but they really hammer bushy dries just below the surface.

Last weekend, I was fishing big foam Chornobyl-type bugs (sz 6) in heavy whitewater. My biggest fish of the day, a 21.5" cutt, came submerged on the swing in 1' waves so don't limit the technique to traditional soft hackles.

3. TD

TD Active Member

I would have never guessed that the trude styles were originally tied as wet flies. I can easily see the white calf tail just being a wing with a soft hackle in front though now that you bring it to my attention.

Freestone - don't think I would have ever considered going under with a humpy. I could see a lime green humpy fished wet working well where caddis are prevalent. I fish a bright orange humpy in late september early october quite often.

Thanks for the input!

4. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Great lookin' flies, Thomas! Soft hackles are a simple fly to tie but there is still room for a lot of creativity, as you have shown.

5. dfl

dfl Active Member

Bitterroot, dollar to a doughnut you don't keep it at just soft hackles.

6. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

:D :D :D :D

7. dogsnfish

dogsnfish Active Member

Yup, soft hackles are my secret weapon up there when nothing else is working.

8. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Active Member

Someone once said"never say never" or something like that.

Nice flies. I have been away from the bench for the summer, but once the weather turns, I am looking forward to crankin out some flies. Soft hackles patterns are a good choice. One of my favorites too.

Dr Bob

9. Skysoldier

Skysoldier FUBAR

Agree Chad. Also a peacock herl and partridge soft hackle has saved the day for me many times, my biggest Cutthroat have all been taken on a orange and partridge. Great flies fished dead drift or on the swing :)

10. dogsnfish

dogsnfish Active Member

11. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

12. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Earlier I tied up some of the beadhead soft hackles and last night wanted to try something different. I wondered what a red wire bodied soft hackle would look like. Now to find out if it fishes different than the beadhead soft hackles. I used the red BR wire and it's a neat, small body.