Echo Dec Hogan rods?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Sloan Craven, Sep 30, 2007.

1. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

How the heck did you guys get to fish these rods before they even came out?

How did you get connected enough to fish a rod that Dec himself posted is not even done yet and won't be ready until December?

I want to be able to play with this stuff too......

Guess I will just have to buy one :)

2. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

They are in the know, my man. Mark my words...Its only a matter of time before you see the "Steelie Mike Special" and the "Zen line" at the fly shop.

3. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Complete with Southpark styled packaging?

4. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

We can only hope

5. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

From one of Dec's earlier posts:

"As Marty stated the rods won't be out and available until December at the earliest. We could have had them out earlier, but Tim and I wanted to get it right. We've nailed the actions, now we are waiting for what is hopefully the last go 'round (of prototypes) in the cosmetic department."

Rod development ususally goes through several changes in the config of the blank itself ... the best way? Had the Proto's to casters (who really fish) and say: 'What do you think?' The collective nature of the feed back gives the designer

6. Dave Fulton

Dave Fulton New Member

Hi all,

To those who have cast these rods, do you think they'd do well casting a scandi system?

I would also be interested in hearing opinions regarding how these rods compare to the Deer Creek series by TFO.

Thanks.

Dave Fulton

7. Marty

Marty New Member

Home Page:
    Dave I fished the 7 last week on the Ronde and Snake. Dec had an Islander set up with an Airflo Scandi and a 15 foot fast sink leader. The system was amazing and I was able to cast some larger flies. When I changed to a dry leader on the Snake I had a problem getting the rod to load. I was using a 9’ poly leader with tippet. I think if I would have gone to a 15 foot leader it would have performed better. I am not a big Scandi fan but do find that the system has some advantages and the Dec rods have an action the can do most anything.

8. SSPey

SSPey Member

such as what, and copied by whom?

9. jonrue

jonrue a life in the day of...

Check out the Fish and Fly Volume 7 Number 5 (Midseason 2007), there is a comparison by Dec, Brian Silvey, and Al Perryman of 13 foot spey rods rated for 8/9 weight lines. Silvey and Perryman are at least as positive as Dec (if not more so) in their praise of the Echo rod.

10. jonrue

jonrue a life in the day of...

one quick question--what will blanks run?

11. Marty

Marty New Member

Home Page:
    Good question, I will see if I can find out.

12. SPEYBUM

SPEYBUM Member

Home Page:
    Just returned from Creekside's Super Spey Daze got a chance to cast the a few of the Echo-Dec Hogan Speyrods and I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised at the rod line.
    Form the 4 wt on up Tim and Dec have done their home work and these rods when they become available should and will be very good rods in this price range for the average caster.
    The 13’3” is a true sweetheart and would make a very good beginners rod.

13. Marty

Marty New Member

Home Page:
    I totally agree with your comment “would make very a good beginner rod” but the statement makes it sound like the rod does not raise above entry level. Though I have only fished the 8 weight for 14 days I do believe this rod is buy far one of the best two handed rods ever built. It’s hard to explain but what I have found is the rod is just easy to cast. When I had plenty of room I could slow way down, create a big D and shape a tight loop. When my back was up against the bank I could eliminate the big d and still create enough energy to complete the cast. I found I could reverse any of the casts with the same proficiency as the standard casts. The rod is very forgiving but stays strong even with a heavy Skagit line. I have fished a number of lines on the rod and it seemed to handle a wide range of lines. They are defiantly not a one line rod. It was the first time I felt I could go longer than a 15” sink tip, don’t know why you would want to though. The number one factor for me when comparing the DH to the other rods I own or have fished is the fatigue factor. Because of how well the rod performs I felt a lot less fatigue on my old bones. I have never been a fan of the light rod for steelhead but both the 6 and 7 have plenty of back bone to land a summer run and the 7 could become my go to rod. Do not let the cost of these rods fool you into thinking they are any less of a rod. My brand new Winston, Burk and the 14 other rods I own are taking a back seat to the Echo DH and money has nothing to do with it.

The rods are late, looks like end of Feb. now

As of right now no blanks, that might change but don’t bank on it.

Marty Howard

14. SPEYBUM

SPEYBUM Member

Home Page:
    Marty,
    When I made that statement The 13’3” is a true sweetheart and would make a very good beginners rod. This is what the people were telling me when I ask their opinion of what they thought of the rod. If you spend some time listening to what the Average Flyfisher has to say you will learn a lot.
    This is what I do.
    Using the Day on the River and The Try Rack gives me a good chance to listen to what the Average Flyfisher want and has to say
    I let the public tell me what they want and then I know.
    A long time ago I learned that it makes very little to most people what tell them when they can check them out themselves.
    OBW I owned 14 Speyrods in 1989.

15. Marty

Marty New Member

Home Page:
    Aaron as you know it is almost impossible to get a true feel for a rod by pulling it off the rack stepping into the water and casting it for 5 minutes. The first time I picked up the 8 weight I thought it might be a little slow but after fishing it with both a dry and sink tip I feel I can make a pretty fare assessment. When it comes to selecting a rod it all boils down to personal preference but where do you find that preference. Most “average anglers” take the advice of someone else, select an outfit and struggle to learn the cast. I fished a Loop Gray Label for a number of years. It’s a very quick rod that takes a little muscle to get it to perform. I found everything had to be perfect from the anchor to the release, if not the cast would fail. Learning how to cast with it would be almost impossible. The rod now spends most of it time in the case and I only break it out for the fun of casting something different. The Echo is very forgiving and for a new caster it would be a great choice to begin with but the same characteristic that would help a beginner gives the average caster the ability to improve their casting. I guess what I am trying to say is that the “average caster” would be able to produce an average cast with most of the production two handers on the market today and if that’s all you are looking for then there is no need to look any further. But if you want to take the steps to the next level of casting you will need a tool that can take you there. The Echo DH is that tools. Sounds like the makings of a good add, but then I have nothing to gain. I have to buy my rods, haven’t made it to get it for free level yet. It’s taken me 20+ years to learn the cast (I only had one two hander in 89) but then I say that only because of the advancement in rods and lines over the past 20 years have been so dramatic that with each change my casting has improved. There is no comparison to the rod I am fishing today to what I had to start with. Your so called average fly-fisher does not need to prolong their learning curve like I did. I have never settled for average maybe that is why I am so passionate about Dec’s new rods. Tim and Dec have done an awesome job on this project and for those that take advantage of it they will not be disappointed. There is nothing average about this rod, except for the cosmetics, but them most production rods are just average when it comes to cosmetic. You can call it what ever you want, I will call it comfortable because for me it is a joy to fish.

I wish a few of you rod wrappers would put some heat on Tim to sell some blanks, it would be the ultimate.