Echo Dec Hogan rods?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Sloan Craven, Sep 30, 2007.

1. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

FIRST laugh of the day.

"How do they compare to the classic sapey?"

Welcome to Sr. Citizenship.;)

2. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Where are these rods already? I am waiting to try one out before I make my next spey rod purchase!!!

Dec!!! I am sure the cosmetics are fine. Send them to the presses!!!

3. Marty

Marty New Member

Home Page:
    Talked to Dec today and the rods are still on line for the 23rd of Jan

4. HauntedByWaters

Oh okay........I just thought they were planned for sometime last December.

Thanks Marty!

5. Denny

Denny Active Member

I understand what both of you mean. Aaron, Marty didn't mean his response the way you took it. When people hear a stick would make a 'very good beginners rod', at this low price point people will often perceive it's a beginners rod, especially with adjectives or labels applied to the rod ('beginners rod'). It's just psychology. Being in retail, you well know how important perception is.

And Marty understands what you meant, it's just he wanted to point out the rod is one that spans all ability levels, isn't just 'beginners rod'. You're both right, you're just looking at the same issue from a different perspective. :thumb:

It might be more appropriate to call it a 'beginner friendly' rod instead of a 'very good beginners rod'. The terms mean the same thing, except the latter is more of a label.

I'm jacked to check out these sticks!

6. Porter

Porter Active Member

You spey ?

7. Marty

Marty New Member

Home Page:
    My bad the Jan date is incorrect. There is no firm date but the rods are on schedule. They are going to make one cosmetic change but the change has not delayed production.

8. Denny

Denny Active Member

Rookie, baby; one has to start somewhere! :thumb:

You?

9. HauntedByWaters

As much as I don't care about the cosmetics, I guess it probably is paramount to selling a rod well since this may be the very first spey rod for a lot of buyers.

I see alot of new spey fishermen all the time around the PNW. Seems the spey market is still growing fast.

I just want this thing in my hands before the middle of February otherwise I may have to bite elsewhere.

I sold my only spey rod to buy a newer lighter rod like maybe one of these and the cash is starting to really burn in my pocket.

I am not the type to buy multiple speys as I fish the same situations year after year and I just need a 7/8 spey to fill the void.

Anyway, crossing my fingers here. If anyone can get one of the first batch that hits the market to me with some kind of a possible return program, PM me.

10. Denny

Denny Active Member

It just seems curious; why do you expect someone to offer you, or anyone, a return program? Once a person buys something, unless it's defective, shouldn't it be expected that person is supposed to keep it? :confused:

11. HauntedByWaters

I simply meant it would be under warrenty and not an early proto model or something. Said it in too many words before my first coffee of the day.

12. FLGator

FLGator Member

jbuehler,
    I'm certain Poppy at the Red Shed will have a better shot than most other fly shops of having them in his shop the first go round. Contact him and let him know what you're interested in and then take it for a "test drive". If you don't like it, you're only obligated for return postage.

13. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    There are some fly shops that are heavily into spey tackle that have "test drives" in one form or another. Two board sponsors All About the Fly and River Run Anglers have their Days on the River with a great assortment of tackle to test free of charge. Mark Bachmann in Welches rents demo spey tackle at a very nominal fee with almost all of the charge being returned with a purchase. I have the "test drive plan" where spey tackle can be demoed with no obligation except the return postage. Even this board has some demo tackle I believe.

jbuehler, I feel your pain but I'm reminded of the saying, "a watched pot never boils". I have been through this new rod waiting game with several rod manufacturers including some of the BIG BOYS. All I can say is those rods will get here when they get here and no amount of wishing will change a thing. I can tell you Tim Rajeff will not be releasing anything until he is 100% satisfied with the product.

If you are under a heavy time restraint to get back to fishing a two hander I would suggest a 13'-7/8 Echo Classic. Not much pocketbook pain, classic good looks, easy casting action, in my opinion, good resale value, and a "NO BS" no fault fast turn around warranty.

14. Salmon Chaser

Salmon Chaser Wannabe Spey God

Anyone care to offer some insights into Steve's (SSpey)post and questions???
    Salmon Chaser

15. greyghost

greyghost Member

Saw these rods for sale in The Fly Shop's newest catalog today. Retail $330, look like nice rods.

Pete