Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Echo EPR rods

Tags
echo rods
3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  DiejehHehdudhhe8373737 
#1 ·
Anyone have have chance to cast one of these yet?

They describe the action as "stupid fast" on their website.
I read a review that spoke highly of these rods. It is nice we keep getting more options for saltwater sticks.
Maybe they'll add a 6 & 7 wt in the future.
SF

http://echoflyfishing.com/project/echoepr-2/

#2 ·
I haven't, but I just saw them mentioned somewhere else in the last couple days. Can't remember where. The other one I was looking at was the Allen Azimuth which they call extra fast. I saw a used 10wt online and was thinking about trying it out. Echo is certainly more mainstream than Allen, but you don't see a lot of independent reviews of either really. I've also heard the Echo 3 is a nice beach/streamer rod but haven't cast one.

#9 ·
They ditched their one piece Prime. $129 on Sierra Trading Post and yet Echo warranty fee is $150 lol
Just so nobody is confused, Echo's standard warranty fee is $35. The one-piece Echo Prime rods are/were an exception and do have a $150 warranty fee:

http://echoflyfishing.com/warranty/

I have not had to use it myself, but the feedback on Echo's warranty program is almost universally positive around the internet.

#12 ·
I wasn't aware of your new position. Anyways, how about your run-down on the Ion XL, Echo 3, and Boost in comparison. Specifically I'm currently looking for a 10wt, but in general would be cool. The 10wt of those 3 are all listed as fast.
I actually made this chart to show where each lands in regards to power and action. The particulars beyond that are going to be largely personal preference. I don't think any one of those rods is "better" overall than any of the others. The Echo 3 and EPR definitely having the highest quality cork and components.

#16 ·
The only way to describe that rod is that it is very, very fast. So if that's not your thing, you are not going to like this rod. At all. That said, compared side-by-side to some better-known, more "established" super duper fast rods, it's substantially more castable, and has a lot more "life" to it. I find that a few of the rods in the upper end of the fast category are just stiff for the sake of being stiff. One in particular, not to name names, is one of the few rods that I've ever casted that I considered uncastable in any practical sense. The EPR, I think, found the right balance of fast as can be, while still being a hell of a fishing & casting tool. I've always been pretty stand-off-ish in regards to super fast rods, but this is one of the few that made me a believer.
We can use those to subdue various and sundry species in Kona.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.