Edmonds Baitfish

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Tony, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

Last night around 10:30pm riding the Ed/king. ferry into edmonds I looked down and there starting about 100 yards off the edmonds dock all the way to shore were millions of baitfish of some sort, the bow of the ferry was just crashing through this hugh school of fish, the water was greyish silver looking with bait being spun and churned about in the bow wave spinning off the sides of the ferry, it was an incredible sight to behold and I can't help thinking with envy of the feeding frenzy that probably followed.
    tony

2. salt dog

salt dog card shark

I know what you're thinking Tony, but you can't cast flies from the ferries. :clown:
    Maybe salmon smolt? Been lots in that section since May.

3. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Sounds like a Herring school.

4. Fish Hunter

Fish Hunter Too many people, not enough fish

Agreed Salt Dog ~ huge amount of smolt in the middle/north sound areas.

FH

5. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

There is great habitat in the Edmonds area. Just north of the ferry there is an underwater park with tons of manmade structure.I would imagine that all this structure attracts baitfish. The area is closed to fishing but if you fancy a close encounter with a 4' ling cod, try SCUBA.

C

6. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

There seems to be lots of juvenile bait in the sound right now. Was out in area 9 yesterday chaisng ling cod. On Possession over the 4 hours that I was there there were birds working bait-balls no-stop with as many as 3 balls going at one time. Salmon smolt/resident coho chasing small bait over a wide area. Never did see for sure what type of bait but as much bait activity in the area for this time of year as I have seen in decades - encouraging sign!

Tight lines
    Curt

7. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Curt, I fished around Doc's, Fox Island on Sunday and was amazed at the amount of bait. We even saw krill busting out of the surface being chased by 3" perch. The great part was that coho were chasing the perch and we followed an actively feeding school for 45 minutes. Even caught some Coastal Cutthroat on a shallow mud flat while fishing for some of the stary flounder.
    Steve