Educate me on PINKS

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Randall Clark, Jul 29, 2013.

1. John Weston

John Weston Member

HMMM, ok.
    Outlaw

2. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Nice looking fly, Evan. Most of my flies are sized from 4 - 8 depending on the hook style. I did tie a couple of really flashy pink clouser minnows on a 4x long size two hook with some BIG dumbell eyes just tyo see what they would do. Haven't tried them yet but I will get to them shortly.

3. JayB

JayB Active Member

It.Is....Revealed. Lurkers take note and get thee to a vice. Evan has done you a big favor.

Eyejuggler likes this.
  4. StarhopeLost21

StarhopeLost21 New Member

Stick with a 10 lb. to 12 lb. line. Anything more than that won't allow you to get the natural, jiggy action. Floating line, as long of a tapered leaded (30-20-12) as you can stretch out comfortably. Usually 3'/3'/3' for a total of 9' is great. Heavy barbell eyes on a pink n white clouser style is all you need to worry about. Irregular strips and vary the time in which you start stripping to allow your fly to sink a bit.

As far as the crowds go.......people don't like to walk too far and they stay by there car. That beach holds fish all the way down to the naval station. Walk a little south. I will be down there too for the weekend. Have fun and bring a cooler.

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    That fly picked up three humpies this morning on an off the radar MA11 walk-in you and I have discussed a few times. Not many fish around, or really showing themselves for that matter. But a couple hours there produced a couple for me.

Another thing about the line/leader thing. I like to use fluoro for this in order to really help with that fast drop jiggy motion. Fluoro sinks while mono is more buoyant.

BASS_TURDS likes this.
  6. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Have fun at decepion pass, be warned that beach becomes a Buzz bomb infested hell hole come humpy season.

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I educated myself on the usage of my new smoker this morning WP_20130803_002.jpg

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    The last couple days have been borderline stupid in area 11. Does that mean it's been good or bad, you may ask? I'll leave it open to interpretation.

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I educated myself and my inlaws on pink tacos this evening. Fresh from this morning's limit

Also, gratuitious "tripled up and in the net" shot. Netting three fish at once is not easy.
    WP_20130804_004.jpg WP_20130804_003.jpg

plaegreid likes this.
  10. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Nice looking smoker (full of meat and smoke). What's the best way to prepare? I don't eat fish, but my extended family who I'll be camping with do...shit, I hope I didn't just jinx it.

I'm excited to go throw a few flies...thanks for the info. I'll report back after next weekend. Hoping to get a Pink on glass...I'll be taking a graphite stick just in case I can't get the distance I need.

Cheers,
    Randy

11. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

I've been using a simple dry brine of brown sugar and non iodized salt. add some garlic and onion and good. Been brining the pinks a full 24 hours with my kings and silvers, and haven't had them turn out too salty for my taste at all. I bake a honey glaze onto the finished product in the oven..... I don't see why everyone looks down their nose at pinks. These babies are pretty darn delicious if you ask me.

plaegreid likes this.
  12. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Heck yes they are. They may be my favorite smoked salmon, especially with an apple cider brine. Its.... its so good. They also do well as salmon sandwiches or burgers, if those float your boat. A salmon sandwich is one of the few things I'll intentionally put mayo on. Hnnggg.... I'm hungry... gotta go fishing... gotta catch dinner...

Nick Clayton likes this.
  13. Ralphie

Ralphie Mike Ralph

I just smoked up 3 pinks caught this week and they turned out great. Simple dry rub of dark brown sugar, sea salt and garlic. Had a little dinner party and friends thought I spent a wad on store bought smoked salmon. I had to confess that I only spent a wad on tying materials and a new Rio OB short. :D

14. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

pinks can be good, but the reason people may turn down their noses is that not every recipe for chinook involves brining and smoking. an ocean fresh chinook needs no added flavors to be amazing table fare.

to me, i judge fish on their real flavor... not hidden in sugar, salt, and smoke. i have enjoyed pinks fresh on the bbq, but they are not even close to chinook or coho imo.

Stonefish likes this.
  15. 10incher

10incher Active Member

I'll back you on the kings. But I actually prefer pinks to coho/silver. I find coho a bit fibrous and bland. Pinks are always flakey and taste a lot like steelhead to me. I'll be putting some in the smoker this year, but I usually just bake fillets at 350F for 20min per inch of thickness (i.e. if the fillet is 3/4" thick it gets fifteen min.) I rub them with melted butter and season with salt and pepper. That's it! But pinks go south fast once they're in fresh water. I won't even keep them from the river. But a pink from the salt is good eatin'.