Educate me on PINKS

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Randall Clark, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

You eat what's available. If you have Kings, you eat them. Coho, Sockeye, whatever. Pinks make good table fair if that's what you have.

2. John Weston

John Weston Member

yep, they are all good. now I just have to find that darn herd comin down the pike to BP or is that wait for the pinks, hmmm, they'll be there when they get there. ok, so I'll just keep goin and hope for soon.
    Outlaw

3. 10incher

10incher Active Member

Indeed! Being the lesser of the salmon isn't exactly damning with faint praise. No hatin' on pinks here.

4. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

why stop with butter, you should wrap them in bacon ;)

5. PT

PT Physhicist

My neighbors and friends love the pinks that I willingly share. Haven't been as generous with their larger cousins. ;)

not a pink.JPG

Nick Clayton likes this.
  6. CLO

CLO It's not the fly, you suck.

I've seen as many chinook caught this years as pink, i hope the the real pink run is just late..

7. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Nice fish PT!

I forgot how much I love fresh nookie until this summer.

I've had 2 fly caught kings in my boat over the past two days. Neither was mine, but I don't care. I think any fly caught king is pretty damn cool. Hell, any king is cool for that matter.

8. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Nice fish. Turned out that I had much less time than I thought I would. Regardless, day 1, I fished for a little over an hour at first light...ended up hooking, playing and losing my first pink ever on a pink over white clouser. I can certainly live with that. Day 2, fished for a couple of hours, had a fish boil on my pink gurgler that I tied on for kicks...also had a brief hookup that came unpinned. It sure felt good to feel those fish on my Steffen 7/8...but I was definitely a little limited as far as overall distance was concerned. There's always a trade-off of sorts when fishing glass...but it sure was fun! I can't thank you folks enough for all of the valuable info both in this post and others...

Cheers,
    Randy

Gary Knowels likes this.
  9. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

getting kings on the cast fly is awesome... congrats!

10. Steve Saville

Fishing has been a bit tough so far. Hopefully the rain we had and the extra days will bring them in. There are so many guys pitching lead right now that they must be skirting the normal areas. That's my theory, anyway. Guys in boats have done better. It can't get much worse from the beach.

11. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I concur. We had two lights out days at my favorite MA11 beach. Then a whole bunch of tough days. Got fish each day, but two days had 30+ hookups, then it tapered off to 2-3 hookups per day over last week. Might get the boat out and see if I can figure out if they're still out there. I kind of remember a similar thing in 2011 where we had a big wave of MA11 fish that tapered off real quick, and never really picked back up... at least not before I changed my focus to the central/north sound.

12. flyfx

flyfx David Spratt

Tough fishing in MA11 this weekend. Fished for 2 hours and landed one fish Friday morning from the beach. Fished incoming tide Sunday evening for 3 hours with my pontoon and landed 5 pounds of seaweed. I saw 2 fish caught but that was it. Hardly any surface activity to chase- Hope it picks up again!

13. jwg

jwg Active Member

Still tough on the beaches in MA11?
    Jay

14. Steve Saville

Fish arrived yesterday in numbers. This morning was insane from the beach. I honestly believe this was the best day since 2005. Hopefully it will continue for a couple of weeks.

plaegreid likes this.
  15. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Many of the pink salmon that we catch are taken on trout flies, while we are chasing sea run Coastal Cutthroat trout on the beaches. We may be using a six weight, 3X leader, and a variety of flies, including big,(size # 4- #6), fluffy, ruddy brown Stimulators, Tan Caddis, any color of Muddlers,(either weighted or on the surface), all kids of streamers, especially bait fish imitations in varying sizes, and soft hackles, bunnies, matukas and Sculpin etc. Color has not often been a significant deal breaker here, for me, as they do take naturally toned flies. The pinks can be pretty tight mouthed at times. So if I was working over them, and they were refusing my fly and presentations, I would be changing things often, and mixing up the pitch to include dead drifting, slight retrieves, swung fly presentations, waking, skating etc. All have taken pinks at times. I would also begin most of my days with a floating line, and then adjust the leader and tippet length and weight of fly accordingly. If you get good at line handling it is amazing how much variety, and depth, you can get out of a floating line. And suffering much less weedy debris on each cast as well. I recently offered some insights on working the tides here: http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

plaegreid and Evan Burck like this.