Electric pump advice

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Evan Burck, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

There is a separate Halkey Roberts valve depressor that goes on the end of my LVM HR valve adapter.

2. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

It used to be that the charging system on automobiles put out about 14VDC (and change) to charge the battery. I recall my LVM docs say not to use the pump with the car motor running to avoid an overvoltage situation to the pump.

3. Kirk Singleton

Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Home Page:
    I had really good luck with my metro/magic air. Abt $80 at NRS

4. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

Does anybody make a pump with a standard two-prong electrical plug setup? I'm asking because I have the Tacoma package with the outlet in the back of the truck bed, and I'm dying to use it for something:clown:

5. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

6. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

You could easily buy a 2 prong plug yourself and it would work. BUT, the pump uses 25 amps on startup and I'm sure the wires on your truck are at the most 12 guage and maybe only 14 guage...check the fuse for that outlet and it's probably only a 15 amp fuse. For a length over 12-15 feet you need 10 guage wire. I ran my own for my ranger pickup; about 18 feet and 10 guage wire. The problem is with 12-14 guage is that it will show 12 volts but it can't carry sufficient amperage. It will work for awile but will end up heating the motor up.

7. mk4

mk4 New Member

Most automobile starting batteries don't have 75 AH. They only deliver a good amount of CA's, since that's what they're designed for. We're probably looking at 50 AH in a new top of the line battery. For a generic off of the shelf battery that's a year or so old, 30 AH is reasonable estimation.

The general rule of thumb is to never run down your battery to less than 50%. That means in a real world situation with an automobile starting battery, you're looking looking at roughly 15 AH before your battery won't be able to provide enough amps to start your car.

That's why I run an AGM group 27 as my main battery. More power.

8. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Alex, yes and they are really cheap and work well. I have had mine for years and it still works great. It is not powerful enough for a closed-valve fill but that's no big deal. I just found a used one at the Goodwill for $3.99 and bought if for a spare. I have an expensive Metro one too but I always just take this little one as it is so much easier to use and is really small. If you want to meet up when I come up to town tonight, I'll show it to you.

9. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

Sounds great, Sue; I'll pm you.
    Now didn't THAT sound tacky!! how about "I'll send you a PM"? You guys see what 35 years of political correctness will do to you???

10. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

LOL! Here is a link to the pump. It looks like a toy and I never expected it to last so long but it is still going strong years later. I open the valve to fill my tubes and it doesn't take to long to fill even my 13' cat tubes. There will be a noticeable pitch change when the motor can't fill it any further (about 95% full) so I immediately remove the pump, close the valve and top off by hand. And for $8.75, it is a bargain! I know I have gotten my money's worth out of mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Interdynamics-RFT-1-12-Volt-Raft-Inflator/dp/B000CO7QGA

11. mk4

mk4 New Member

I have a MV-50 12V air compressor. A lot of offroaders use these as they are cheap and awesome for the price ($35). Their output for the price is great and they're long lasting too. Airs up all four of my 35's in about 10 mins. I haven't tried in on a boat, but I plan to.

Anyone else use these?

12. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    I have a Rule 12V on order from Amazon at about $73 so we'll see. For the smaller boats you can do some inflation at home--enough to cut time but to fit in the back of an SUV or throw on top for short trips. I use a 120V pump I got for around $10 at Walmart and it inflates my Renegade in about two minutes. It does need topping off with a hand pump.

13. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I wanted to add my choice. it is this one:

http://www.flydepot.com/flyfishing/lvm-12volt-inflator-pump/pid--1103/

I have used this pump for over 15 years with no problems what so ever. Oh, it got dropped and broke a piece of the housing off, but with patched that. And occasionally the lever falls off, but it works like a charm. I recommend getting a gauge too. Just like car tires, have all chambers inflated the same helps.

14. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

I'd been using the foot pump that came with my Water Master until last month when I picked up a cheap electric pump at Cabela's for $15. Altho that was a sale price, I expect the quality is low, but a friend has one that has been in service for 2 or 3 years on his pontoon boat.

Sg

15. Rod Sand

Rod Sand Member

I've had my LVM for ten years,used it hundred of times never had a problem.Well worth the bucks.