Electrical wire question

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Steve Kokita, Jun 7, 2011.

1. themaninthemoon

themaninthemoon Just waiting on warmer weather, .......

Sorry, I apologize again Steve, but Yes, you can use jumper cables as long as you keep an eye on the overload/heat factor, but just check that the resistance (of trying to carry the load of the voltage to the trolling motor), doesn't overheat the cable wires, melt through the plastic sheathing, & short out against the frame, or the metal body of your craft. Check the temperature with your hands (from time to time), on the wires going into the motor, if it starts feeling really warm then reduce your load pull by slowing down the amount of thrust (reduce speed), on your trolling motor. (especially if you find yourself in a mat of really thick weeds, & this is where by using an extendable/collapsible extension pole with a gator foot on it, & move the craft along like they do in Venice, Italy. I thought it was crazy the 1st time I saw it, but it actually does work better than trying to force your way through by the prop alone. much easier than burning up your battery's strength, as well as not taking a toll on the trolling motor, or prop itself.)

Oh yeah, & BTW, PLEASE, do make sure that you also carry a paddle, or a set of oars with you, just in case your motorized equipment does fail. And yes it has happened to me, but I was lucky enough to be by the shoreline & wound up towing my boat with the bowline wrapped around my waist. (This was when I was much younger & full of piss & vinegar, (as well as outrage @ the fact that I had another battery sitting in the truck all charged Up & ready to go, but once I got there, I was worn out from the tow job, & the fact that there is always tomorrow.) It's definitely not the fastest, or even the most convenient, but it could save you, & your trip from being @ the very least a flop, that could graduate into a tragic disaster, faster than you can blink.

As I've said it before, & I cannot overemphasize the three safety factors that are most important when out on the water, Safety, 1st, most, & last!

I know it's somewhat of a pain in the backside, but trust me, & better yet, trust your own judgement, if you answer this Q. Should the event happen that something goes wrong, (insert & apply Murphy's Law here,), are you prepared to deal with the situation properly, safely, & with the confidence in your equipment & ability to overcome most any adversity?

2. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

QUOTE:"Sorry, I apologize again Steve, but Yes, you can use jumper cables as long as you keep an eye on the overload/heat factor, but just check that the resistance (of trying to carry the load of the voltage to the trolling motor), doesn't overheat the cable wires, melt through the plastic sheathing, & short out against the frame, or the metal body of your craft." End Quote. I know you the info on this subject, but voltage is not the load....amperage is the load and is what will heat up wires or burn up any 12 volt motor if the size of the wire guage is inadequate. Same thing with electric weedeaters: do not use a 14/3 extension cord longer than 50 feet. Any longer and it will not carry the "amperage" even though you will have 110 volts at the end.

3. sroffe

sroffe Active Member

As others have said, stranded is the best wire for the application. You definitely need to match the gauge of wire to the amount of current your motor will draw.

Here is a chart that should be of some help to you:

http://tinyurl.com/2o5wat

4. funfisher

funfisher Fish On!

I just rewired my Minn Kota. I needed the power cables to be 4 feet longer than the factory cables. I went to Shucks and bought a set of 10 guage jumper cables for $11 and they work like a dream. We are just talking about a trolling motor here, not the theory of relativity. K.I.S.S.

5. sroffe

sroffe Active Member

That should work OK. Hooking up a motor isn't rocket science, but, you still have the law of physics that are in play, and that you can not fool. It's really not that complicated matching wire gauge to the your current needs.

6. themaninthemoon

themaninthemoon Just waiting on warmer weather, .......

Sroffe,

I stand corrected, & I apologize for not wording it properly. You are 100% correct, as it is the amperage, not voltage, that must overcome the measure of the conduit's resistance, (gauge of wire), in relation to the amount of distance it is required to travel.

End quote, that's it I'm done, lol, never meant to get into a pissing match anyhow, (guess I'm getting too old), but I just didn't want this guy/feller fisherman/person, to fry his/her system by using less than quality materials, about half way between here, there, & nowhere, especially on his 1st trip with a new trolling motor.