Eliminate steelhead fishing?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by BFK, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

If they really want to close something to save costs & enforcement time, why don't they target the freshwater salmon fisheries instead. I see more resource abuse and law breaking in one day during fall salmon season than an entire season of steelhead fishing. Not saying i support either option, but if they are truly looking for a fallout, this is where i would start.

2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    As if the O.P. rivers aren't crowded enuff already. I'll bet the Forks motel lobby is behind this, sensing a waning of the vampire wave.

I'd pay a little more to keep things open. I've been a proponent of user fees in the past.

3. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

more than likely is the fact that if there are no hatchery fish in PS rivers, there is no way to justify a fishing season on esa listed fish.

i'm not in agreement with that reasoning entirely, but i bet that has more to do with it than law enforcement.

it's too bad they couldn't go after hatcheries on rivers with wild stocks and habitat where one could still have fisheries. while shutting down hatcheries like the bogachiel/calawah, sol duc, and snyder creek would cause some hurt, it would be far less than shutting down all puget sound hatcheries.

of course, the department is looking for PS area politicians to come to the rescue to save their hatchery jobs and funding instead of looking for cuts that could not only save money, but help wild fish and have less impact on fisheries.

4. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Funny, according to their website, they are still hiring.

5. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Get past all the emotional knee jerk over reactions. The election decided what options managers will have for funding. With tax and rate hikes off the table, they make their projections based on what they know they will have to spend, rather than on contingencies. It's now just arithmetic rather than politics.

Washington voters have decided not to fund the quality of life we enjoyed in the past. Things are tough all over, so if money isn't available from the general fund, we're just going to have to figure out how to pay to play.

Politicians tell us that if we don't provide funding for public services: police, firemen, teachers, fishing, they'll have to lay them off because that's where the money comes from, and those people don't work for free.

Do you?

6. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    If they continue closing rivers to Steelhead fishing they should make release of Wild Steelhead mandatory statewide. They should have done that anyway as the closures in recent years just shifted the angler pressure (including new guides) to the few remaining runs, mostly on the Olympic Peninsula rivers. The results have been very bad. If they had maintained the fish for "maximum sustained spawning" the fish would have had a chance. As it stands the ESA listings on Puget Sound fish should have been applied long ago. As far as I am concerned the management of our fisheries hasd always been a political football and the science has always been on the bench. Closing Steelhead fishing would be the best thing for the fish at this point.

7. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    At least a candy bar is cheaper now.

8. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

WA spent $549,400,000.00 on education for illegal immirants in 2004.

9. The Quan

The Quan member

Well......I can take you point blank if they do that I will be fishing year round. This state has f***ed everything as it is !! They have done nothing but get themselves into financial trouble and this is the result !! Pathetic solutions to everything. Even some of the " fish Habitat projects have been a total waste of money. Always the small guy being punished.

This is the liberal way that has run this state into the ground ! Spend your way into trouble and then threaten new proposals to " punish" you, so they can get their money anyway.

Try cutting some OVERPAID GOVERMENT JOBS FIRST !

Why not create a year round catch and release pass ! I have been thinking about that for years. I would buy one. I know tons of people that would. That right there would create a ton of revenue and probably could add enforcement instead of remove it !! Helloooo !!!! Earth to washinton state .........Earth to washinton state................

So go ahead and eliminate another fishery for the small sport guy............I dare ya , I will be fishing all year round . It will be great NO enforcement . Hardly anybody to compete with for fish. Talk about first water !!! Whoooo Hoooooo !!!!!!! :thumb:

10. BFK

BFK Member

Manipulative is my take on it. The Department screams about closing hatcheries or eliminating LE, and we scream at our legislators (really, that's an excellent idea), and "somehow" the money is found somewhere. It's all gamesmanship. It's very similar to what happened in Oregon with Eagle Creek. Threaten to close it, and if enough people complain, the money is found.

I believe that the state needs to take a good look at its operations and start trimming the nonessentials that don't generate revenue. Fishing does as has been proven before. So does hunting. But does protecting the pygmy cottontail in the scrublands generate revenue for example? There are a lot of areas where state government can cut without affecting its primary mission at all.

11. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

So is imported sparkling spring water. You know thats important.

12. PT

PT Physhicist

Washington voters recently voted the same way they have for the past 20+ years. And we continue to do so even when we're lied to and see no real changes for the better. When the economy is booming nobody really pays attention. But, "us" not giving "them" enough $ is always the excuse when the s**t hits the fan. When you have a governor who walks the picket line with Boeing workers it says alot about the priorities around here. Hmmmmmm. Boeing did relocate many of their jobs to other states after that. Sorry to get political but the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

13. orangeradish

orangeradish Eyes to the sky...

Well said.

14. StillyD

StillyD New Member

One of the most heated initiatives I've ever seen in washington was I-695, I believe it was 1998, the initiative made all car tabs $30. At the time higher end cars could run upwards of $5000 just for tabs. The government fought tooth and nail to defeat it, even the governor made a commercial. Public transit and ferrys would disappear, and road construction would be drastically reduced they promised. It passed and none of that happened, so yes, false threats do occur. Of course "things" were a lot better then, so it's hard to tell.

15. BFK

BFK Member

And remember how long the actual $30 fee lasted? Just long enough-- before additional taxes and fees were imposed.

It's no wonder the tax votes went the way they did. The legislature doesn't listen, and the voters are tired of it.