Eliminate steelhead fishing?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by BFK, Nov 9, 2010.

1. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Well, the voters didnt pass funds for the new stadium years ago, and they did it anyways. Then they imposed all kinds of new taxes to help pay for it.
    I personally don't give a shit about those stadiums, and wish that those funds would have gone to something with much more overall community value.
    (I realize I will get flamed by sports fans for saying this)

2. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Net positive revenue. Whether you like sports or not, making money is the reason they did it.

3. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

The state should raise the 'Out Of State' fee just like a few other post have said... Tax the 'Out of Staters' 100% and let us fish for free :thumb:

4. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

close more hatcheries and keep the enforcement!!!!!!

5. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I worked in the building trade during that time and I-695 was really bad for those of us that did road work. It cost us Hundreds of millions of dollars in fed matching funds cause we had no state hiway money, and along with that thousands of good paying jobs directly, not to mention the down stream effects.

6. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

As stated before no hatchery fish in puget sound no fishery. They will not even allow a catch and release fishery on esa listed fish. The only thing that has kept us fishing this long is the hatchery fish. Very little enforcement will be needed when everything is shut down. For all those against hatchery fish your wish might be coming true. However you will have to go else where to enjoy the awesome sport that is fishing. Hopefully the state is bluffing but I really don't know. They have already closed hatcheries in recent years and cut back on hatchery production so who is to say they don't close it down completely. I guess it's to the coast or the columbia tribs.

7. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    The Nutsack, Sky etc is to close Feb 15 this year. Jan 31 after that with hatchery fish. The Skagit could stay open for C&R if runs rebound. Essentially, wild fish forecasts are above escapement for several years, then ther their is a chance fo a season.

I moved 3,000 miles to fish for steelhead. I even further have specialized (variable success) on winter fish. This potential closure is tough.

The real deal is that as a winter steelheader, I fish for wild fish. Hatchery fish are reluctant to bite swinging flies. Hatchery fish also return at about 1% or below. Only the Sky has a return at all really. Honestly, I can't justify leaving home (and the small chance that my wife will take a liking to me that day) to fish for a non-biting, non-existant hatchery fish. I'm not losing out on much at this point if they follow through.

Hatchery fish may very well have an effect on wild fish. We know very little of what effects they may have. Honestly, ending plants can't hurt.

Hatchery fish are expensive. 79 fish returned to Kendall on the Nookie last year 2-3 hundy were caught. Let's all guess the cost per fish. Come on fiscal conservatives, what say you?

I say close 'em down. Allow C&R if estimates are above escapement with a margin of error built in.

Hatcheries also allow for a net harvest of early wild fish. Do we want that to continue?

Go Sox,
    cds

8. Chris Johnson

Maybe it's time we all took a deep breath and thought long and hard about what is important here. Steelhead and salmon are iconic species in the northwest, most people agree they should be saved from extinction, but how? Should we lay blame at a particular groups feet, while the other groups clammer for a bigger slice of a dwindling pie? Or should we take stock in our own actions and accept the collective blame we all deserve for the lack of political and social will to do what is best for the fish? The latter, I think, is the most mature course of action. Let us get off our collective butts and do what is best for the fish. If that is closure, then so be it. But we had better hurry, cuz we're burnin day light!

9. stilly stalker

Wildcat seelheaders club already pays for almost all the feed for the steelhead at Kendall creek.THE STATE DOES NOT! The water is well origin, and nearly free. The steelhead cost the state very little. Maintnance of the spring chinook run is Kendalls top priority
    Lets definitely continue to do what we can, but lets also make a big push to make our co managers accountable for the status of our ESA listed stocks that they harvest. From what I have seen in person, they have very little accountability for the numbers they harvest

10. stilly stalker

Quit buying steelhead in stores. When the market for it is reduced, the incentive to harvest it will be reduced as well

11. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

Actually we know a LOT about how hatchery fish affect wild fish.. That issue has been studied studied and restudied time and time again more studying of the issue will not change the results..
    hatchery fish are VERY bad for wild fish in many cases in the Columbia river system I believe based on the science that they are the single largest limiting factor to a wild fish rebound.

As for the wildcat steelhead club.. I have listened to them at public meetings and will say without any question that in terms of what is best for the fish and fishing they are the enemy. They are in my estimation a very selfish group of anglers with only their dinner table in mind...

12. stilly stalker

Im just saying that in terms of cost to the state per fish for Kendall creek, its pretty low because they pay fo the feed. Im not commenting on them as a quality contributor to conservation, which in my opinion they are not.

13. Chris Johnson

You can rest asured that Kendall creek hatchery won't close because of the spring chinook broodstock program in the n. fork and now the south fork as well. The value of these is dubious at best and probably not the best use of funds. Hatchery biologists like hatchery solutions.

14. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

They have a damn nice boat launch and dock........................well worth the 40 buck membership fees.

15. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    That building isn't free. Labor isn't free. Electricity isn't free. They aren't cheap. They also aren't worth it even if they were free. They also are a failure. When you have to close a large portion of the river to fishing to get enugh fish back for egg take, it ain't worth it. It's a hatchery for the good of the hatchery. That's all it is.
    Guess what.... The Cascade isn't worth it. Hatchery fish on the Stilly aren't worth it. None of them are worth it.

I know it would eliminate my local fishing if it ended but I can't figure out on any level how dumping tons of hatchery fish into the sound can help the wild fish. I can come up with many logical scenarios where it wmay hurt them.

Do you want to reduce tribal netting? The majority of it is due to hatcheries.

Go Sox,
    cds