Elk

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by luv2fly2, Mar 15, 2006.

1. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

just thought i would throw out a feeler. some friends of mine have pooled a bunch of money and want to go on a guided elk hunt in the northwest . anyone have any ideas on a good guide/outfitter? mike w

2. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

nfr-elk

mike-where are you hoping to hunt...state??
    washington is pretty much spike bull only unless you draw a branch-bull tag or hunt on the west side
    i did some looking for a guy i work with so i might have some info for you.

3. mr trout

mr trout Trevor Hutton

nfr-elk

FWIW, if you are hunting meat, a cow tastes as good as a bull... And archery tags let you take a spike or antlerless in most areas. If you are hunting for a trophy, WA may not be the place to do it... it is pretty rough getting any elk tags...

4. Elkman

Elkman Ryan

nfr-elk

I know about the rough side of getting drawn. I have 7 points for this years elk tag. I hope I get it this year.

I would suggest hunting Colorado, lots of elk down there, and some pretty reasonable outfitters too.

later
    Ryan

5. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

nfr-elk

i would think 7 pts in wa would get you a decent tag...are you banking or gonna draw???

6. archenemy

archenemy New Member

nfr-elk

Depends on how much cash you are willing to throw down. You can get a hell of a trip (guarenteed kill too) in Montana. It is on Ted Turner's land; and it is absolutely beautiful. Two years ago I was riding up there and ran across a herd of six 300# elk (off season of course-the boys were all hanging together) and they were gorgeous. PM me if you would like details.

7. ZugBug

ZugBug Member

8. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

nfr-elk

http://www.woga.org/

Washington state outfitters and guides assoc. should have some info for you

9. RedSpey

RedSpey Guest

nfr-elk

Go to the southern Oregon Coast or hit Idaho instead.

10. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

nfr-elk

RIGHT!!! idaho...over the counter bull tags. look into an outfitter who will do a drop-camp. they will pack you and your buddies into an area with all your gear and leave you there, come back however many days later you want to get picked up. sometimes they will come in and check on you every couple days. the cool thing about that is the price is a lot less expensive than a guide hunt, they will put you into an area that there are animals. they will probably save the areas they know hold big bulls for their guided clients, but hey. i can tell you a couple buddies have done the drop hunts for muleys around here and it is a great experience. most will provide wall tents or rent them to you along with stoves and other gear. usually a horseback ride in. i think bearpaw does these in id.

11. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

nfr-elk

like people have said, it totally depends on what you want out of your trip.. I went to New Mexico last fall bow hunting and it was amazing. More bulls than i have ever seen and big big racks... I didnt connect with a bull, but was within 15 yrds of a 370 class bull that we bugled in, and that was an AWESOME experience.
    That being said, i wouldnt go with the outfitter we went with ever again. The guide was great, the outfitter left a lot to be desired.

For a good hunt in MT check out Medicine Lake outfitters. Tom is a good guy.