Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Ell Lake

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Jim Wheeler 
#1 ·
Heading out to the Republic area next week. Is Ell lake worth fishing ? It's been about 5 years since my last visit. Any recent info is much appreciated !

#3 ·
I saw it this winter and guess it is only about 6'-7' deep. I have fished it at that level, but. I would check the planting reports to see if they put in any fish, the plan was for only 500 or so. I kind of have my doubts.

All the lakes in the Aeneas Valley are quite low. The ramps at Round and Long are way above the water and it is tough to get to the lakes.

Jerry

#5 ·
Ell is super low. We have a cabin down the road and Ell's water level, along with Round and Long, has been dropping like a rock the last six years or so that we've been in the area. On opening weekend this year, I saw no one fishing Ell and I was out there for a week a couple weeks ago and never saw anyone fishing it either. Most of the creeks in the area aren't doing much better either.

#6 ·
All , I never made it to Ell. Couidn;t pry myself away from Chopaka. Pretty fair fishing w/dries from noon to 6:00PM. Use callibaetis emergers , cripples and sparkle duns sizes 14-16. Fish stout leader IN the reeds.

Chironomids were working well. Sizes 16-18 olive green. Floating line w/LONG flourocarbon leaders.

Not a lot going on w/damsels , still too cold I think.

#7 ·
Ell has no fish in it at this time. The aerator quit working two winters ago and we didn't notice it in time. That, coupled with one absentee landowner "having" to use his water rights or lose them leased his 30 acres behind Ell to a local cattleman in the valley to grow a crop for cows took the water lever down 3 1/2' in 8 days which pretty much sealed the fate of Ell for the short term. This landowner is the only one who has access to the lake for irrigation. He since has been contacted and has an agreement with the State in place to not have to use his water rights in fear of losing them for the next 5 years. At that point no one knows what will happen. His property is up for sale but he wants $100k for the water rights alone which is way out of line (imo). The lake, as all the lakes in the area is cyclical. Back in the 50's the locals grew potatoes in Ell Lake which was a mud hole at the time. All the fish were put into Round Lake in 5 gal buckets. There is also currently an agreement in place with myself, a couple fly clubs and the State that as soon as the water levels come back up we will fund the purchase of a new aerator for the lake which m,ay take a few more years. This area has been in a drought for 9 years now. The aerator will be managed by the Okanogan Fly Club is my understanding. So, there you go. Aeneas Lake is low but fished well last Saturday

Jim Wheeler
Spring Creek Prams

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.