Emergency Warning to Fly Tyers on the forum

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by John Dude, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Pocket Waters

Pocket Waters New Member

Check the local shops AND pick up Kaufmann's nymph and dry fly tying books! he does such a great job in getting beginners going on the right foot ;o)

2. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Whatever happens, never let yourself get discouraged by early failed attempts. So many of us tyers have stories of those "abortions" we created when we first sat at the vise. Those who are easily discouraged shouldn't attempt tying. However, those who know the virtue of patience will get rewarded.

BTW, I started tying by getting Skip Morris' "Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple." You pretty much learn all the basic techniques there.

--Dave E.

3. Dirty Curt

Dirty Curt Just a trout addict

I'll have to second the DynaKing tying kit and Creekside's tying class. I received the kit a few years ago as a gift and was surprised to realize the quality of all the tools supplied. Dr. Slick certainly knows his business and the vice has been solid, though I would prefer one with a vice that locked on the edge of the bench. I finally broke down and paid for the class at Creekside in Issaquah last winter- $80 for 3 two hour sessions. Brent certainly knows tying well and is always open to questions whenever you stop by after the class. I wouldn't say it is essential to learning how to tie though. I took it because I wasn't confident I was teaching myself correctly from books, only to find out I was doing just fine on my own. Good luck and enjoy!

4. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

5. nb_ken

nb_ken Active Member

Maybe I'm speaking out of turn here since I'm not a member, but I'd like to give a plug for the classes given by the Washington Fly Fishing Club. Best value I can think of. It's an 8-week class held in a church basement on Mercer Island. From what I remember they've been holding these classes every winter for 20 years or so. I took the class 10 or 12 years ago and haven't bought a fly since. When I took the class there were probably 40-50 students and 15-20 volunteer instructors. Great deal. Classes start in Jan 2010.

http://www.wffc.com/instruction.htm

Since you've already got some tools and materials, I'd spend a little time with a book (Skip Morris' "Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple" is a good one) playing around on your own. By the time the class starts, you'll have a feel for putting materials on a hook. That will give you a head start and make the class a whole lot more beneficial.

6. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

I'd second that plug as that's where I learned to tie. Every week you will be tying a popular pattern, each one increasing in difficulty, that you can use for any type of trout species.

I met some great people that really knew how to tie..

7. AKFLY

AKFLY Member

What ever you do fish the first flies you tie. You will be suprised when you hook something. If you stick with it in a bout a year look back at those first ties - shake your head- and then say - hey they caught me fish.

Have fun with it. And yes the Kaufman Book is awsome. DVDs and video footage is pricless as is hands on experience at the table with experts of course. I think globalflysiher.com had a good article on organization, good habits, and speed.

Welcome to the addiction. $295 for the starter kit won't compare when you look at your fly tying desk in a couple of years and see $2,950 of material lol.

8. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Dan

I've found some good books and dvd's at the local library. As mentioned above the vidoes on utube are great.

9. John Dude

John Dude Learned skills from George Dickel

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I ended up taking a class at Creekside, buying a bunch of books, and just got a Renzetti Traveler vise.

I might start showing up at fly-tying gettogethers in the winter or spring - I heard there are good demos at the fly fishing show in E-burg

John Dude