Ended a 3 month fishing drought

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Shawn West, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Shawn West

Shawn West Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    It has been almost three months since I have been on the water. My entire summer has been about packing up the house and moving my wife to join me here in Vancouver. I have missed chasing bass, but life if much better with my wife by my side.

I made the decision late Friday afternoon to head up the Gorge and fish. The two weather sites I rely on reported different wind conditions. One said winds up to 6 mph and the other said winds from 15 to 25 mph. As luck would have it, the first weather report was correct. My buddy Steve and I arrived at the lake around 2:30. The sky was clear and the wind was next to perfect. We spoke with a couple that were just getting off of the lake. They said the fishing was fantastic. I was itching to load up my gear and hit the water.

I paddled over to the rip rap and started throwing a stealth bomber pattern I had tied up a few months ago. This is one dandy fly. It fishes a lot like a Dahlberg Diver. You can pop it, slide it, or just swim it. It was not long before I missed a killer strike. I believe this was probably the largest fish of the day. I had more strikes with this pattern, but I could not hook the fish. I eventually switched to a smaller popper; a #6 Betts Frugal Frog. I managed to land a handful of smaller bass. Most were in the 11" - 13" range.

I was doing OK on poppers, but it was still hours before sunset (magic time). I decided to switch to a Simiseal Leech. I was using a sink tip line and counting down 10 seconds before slowly swimming the fly back. At one point, I was getting strikes on EVERY cast. It was just not fair to the fish. Too bad for the fish though, I was going to milk this for all she was worth. I have no idea how many fish I caught using the Leech, but I eventually had to replace it with a new one because there was not much left of the fly but the tail. It was not long before I landed the big fish of the day. All of the fish fought very hard, but this fish was different. It took quite a while before I even caught a glimpse of the fish. I was hoping for a 20"+ bass, but that was not meant to be today. It was a dandy dark colored 18" beauty.

As the sun started to head towards the horizon, it was time to go back to the popper. I was not disappointed. I started to get more and more strikes. This time my hook-up rate improved. While I was enjoying my party with the bass, Steve caught fire. Steve was absolutely slaying the bass with his popper. I watched him make three cast to the exact same place and land three fish. It looked like a repeat of what happened in Idaho during our June trip. I was sure he was going to land a bass larger than my eighteen incher, but I guess it was not in the cards.

It got too dark to see what we were doing, so we headed back to the launch. I think I can speak for Steve when I say we were two very tired fisherman when we arrived at the launch. I can also say that you would be hard pressed to find two guys with bigger smiles on their mugs. It was a fantastic trip; one that I think we both needed. I hope I can hit the water at least one more time while the bass are still looking up.

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Great report Shawn! I love basic simiseal leehes this year I've used them for stillwater trout, bass, panfish and Rocky Ford trout.
  3. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Oct 13, 2005