Enough already, Simms.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jack Devlin, Aug 11, 2013.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I was wondering if I spelled that correctly and figured one of the grammar/spelling Nazis here would let me know if I didn't... kind'a like a built in WFF spell check. :p

2. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

You guys got to much time on your hands.... Go fishing

3. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Hello Kitty stickers on stripping baskets and blacked out simms gear is the new in thing.

plaegreid and Stonefish like this.
  4. Siskiyoublues

Siskiyoublues Member

Shucks wouldn't that be nice. Luckily (Unfortunately?) I've got another pair on the way. I was just trying to squeeze these suckers to the 12 month point. Got stuck at eleven.

5. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I'm sorry, but Simms is SUPER smart. Kids nowadays want that. How are you going to attract the new generation of flyfisherman? Lots of logos. My son likes them, his friends like them, most of the teens I know love them (logos that is). I just put their clothes, I'm not worried about the logos. I work for a company that has for YEARS put logos over everything. Product is good, so I'm not too worried about the logos I have on them.

6. JE

JE Active Member

bass.png
    Heck ya! Notice how he long arms the Dew and not the bass.

7. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Plenty of brands have had massive and multiple logos on their gear, but if the gear didn't hold up, the brand would fade and disappear. Simms is where they are because of the gear, not because of the logos.

8. underachiever

underachiever members only

I agree. I had an interesting conversation with one of the guys at the Fly Fishing Shop in Welches a couple weeks ago about the changing demographic of fly fishing, who's dropping $$ in their shop and the brands these people are gravitating towards. It was his observation that it was more young people spending money and the stuff they generally bought was marketed in a particular way.

At least in Simms case you can say they bring the steak with sizzle. My experience with their products as been that they've been well thought out, functional for fishing, and very durable.

9. whalenblue

whalenblue Member

Can you be sure that's a real bass if it doesn't say BASS, like right behind the gills or something? I will say though that I haven't seen many 20" Dews like that I one!

JE likes this.
  10. PT

PT Physhicist

I buy good gear and use it. Right now most stuff has a Simms logo on it. If I feel like I'm turning into a walking billboard, I'll buy another manufacturers good gear and use that. I'm still pretty loyal to that company out in Montana but there is a point where it becomes a bit much.

Kcahill likes this.
  11. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

For the record.
    I like Simms products. Have a pair of G3's and Headwaters waders. Great stuff. I especially like the fit and abundance of sizes available. The Headwaters boots are fine although I wasn't really happy that they were made in China. I don't like all the logos/names. And not just on Simms products.
    Today I went fishing. I put on my THORLO socks, HANNES shorts, Wrangler jeans, Alaska Hotel tee shirt, an ARHARTT work shirt (the C was hidden by my Sportsmans Warehouse pen), a Lake Crescent Lodge ball cap and my Timberland hikers. I had a pleasant drive to the beach. The shiny Ram hood emblem on my truck glistened in the morning sun. I suited up in my Simms waders and shoes, rigged up my Echo rod, tied on one of my nameless flies and lost a fish when a blood knot gave out. I don't know what the fish was. A rezzie I think. I didn't see a logo or a name tag. I had at least fifty-four logos/names on me not counting inside labels.
    In the scheme of things it's not something to be concerned about, but it is something to think about??????
    Now where did I put that seam ripper.:)

flyfool likes this.
  12. underachiever

underachiever members only

I love that your avatar is a logo. No sarcasm or dickish-ness intended.

Jack Devlin and Kcahill like this.
  13. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

I know. Thanks. I was wondering who would make that observation. Exactly. Its all so much a part of our (great) American life we don't realize it sometimes.
    Jack

underachiever likes this.
  14. JE

JE Active Member

The bottom line is that human beings just seem to want to have an identity.
    Wearing those Simms boots might say to everyone, "hey I'm a flyfisher." Not wearing them might say, "hey I'm a rugged individualist that will not stand for being used as a human billboard." That huge tattoo on your back of a Samarai might say "hey, I'm a super intense warrior" when you go swimming at the SHARC in Sunriver with your family. You may also just wear stuff with logos because you're the "hey, I'm the comfortable functional stuff wearing guy." Or, you might get paid to wear a logo. People will know if you're legit, a sellout or a poser once they hang around you enough.

Jerry Daschofsky likes this.
  15. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Pretty much hit the nail on the head. If you're worried about it too much, maybe you're insecure with your status. I'm not, could care less if I'm in Simms (though I'll admit it's nice having decent waders lol) or Hodgeman. If it works for me, and I can afford it, then I'm game. For years it's been an advertising game. As long as I can remember that is. Like I said, almost all my clothing, computers, etc that I work with have the UPS logo splattered all over them (including my socks). Nothing new for me.

JE likes this.