EVEN YEAR PINKS

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by mtlhead, Aug 23, 2002.

1. mtlhead

mtlhead Member

I read a Quote that Curt Kreamer made about the increasing number of "Even year Pinks" that have been entering our river systems, Specifically the Snohomish system. This was news to me and I can't say that I've noticed this while fishing for Summer Run Steelhead or Silvers. Did anyone else hear this or have you seen the trend he (Kreamer) spoke of?

2. Preston

Preston Active Member

Perhaps the apparent increase is due to the improved ocean survival conditions that gave us that gave us the huge (in overall numbers as well as size of individual members) humpy returns of last year. Something certainly seems to be going right for the ugly little buggers. I am certainly no one to be second-guessing Curt Kraemer, but I can recall some even-numbered years in the past when, for instance, Pilchuck Creek seemed to have almost as many pinks in it as it would have in an odd-numbered year.

3. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Bigfoot is blurry

The article I read stated that they spawn much lower in the rivers than their odd year cousins. For example, it said that the even year pinks in the Stillaguamish don't spawn above Silvana. I think it also said the Stilly pinks are likely strays from the Snohomish.

4. mtlhead

mtlhead Member

I'm just surprised that there has not been any caught by myself while chasing fish from the beach?

5. hedburner

hedburner Active Member

Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    I was fishing for cutts on the lower stilly by the cement plant and up above the bridge there was some salmon rolling I was thinking they were some early silvers but maybe they were humpies, I didn't go up and take a closer look though. Cutt fishing was kinda slow only turned one small one and a couple of short strikers. In years past I have caught and seen a few even year humpies in the Stilly not many but they do show up.

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I might be old---but I'm good.

How do you access the river below the cement plant. I usually fish down by Silvana or where the Pilchuck runs in. Pink flies???

Jim

7. steve

steve Member

I don't know about the Stilly, but I saw a lot of Pinks yesterday while hiking along the Snohomish. Some gear guys in boats were catching and releasing a lot of fish.

8. mtlhead

mtlhead Member

Ancient Chineese Secret..... No the farthest down that I've fished from the bank is the hole where the 2 channels of the main Stilly meet below town(behind the concrete plant).There are a couple of spots just above Marine View Dr. but there's not wadin' there. To really fish any lower I think you need to float it down from the tavern in Sylvana or power up from Marine View Dr.

9. hedburner

hedburner Active Member

Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    Ahh but Confuscious says there are many ways to wade the stilly if you know where to go. It is possible during low flow years to wade from silvana all the way to warm beach hiway. Even a little grasshopper like me can do it, a tall person has a much better chance of doing this now this year.

10. ClarkiClarki

ClarkiClarki New Member

We caught one a couple of weeks ago while fishing coho in the saltwater. That is the first one I have caught in the salt in an off year. :DUNNO

11. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

just remember, throw 'em back

my uncle just caught a humpy at the tulalip bubble while fishing for kings (he also hooked two kings, only landed one 23lbr, the other one was bigger and came unbuttoned). my geuss was that it (the pink) was headed for the stilly or it was playing the tide before heading into the snohomish. they are a fun fish i cant wait for them to start being an every year event!

12. dlw

dlw New Member

I guess I'll have to go against the grain on this topic. Pinks every other year is enough. The though of having to put up with them every year scares me. Last year when we had the huge run of pinks, they took over every Puget Sound river system and ruined cutt and silver fishing from September through October. Every time I tried to go cutt fishing, all I could catch was those slimy things. Most of em couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper sack, and around spawning time made the river smell really good :AA.
    I've been looking foward to a humpyless fall, and hearing news of an even year run makes me want to cry. I know some poeple enjoy fishing for them, but I see em as the weeds of the river. If they held and spawned near the tidewater, I guess it wouldn't be all bad. With the way their numbers are increasing though It's hard to say how much their range will increase.

13. ClarkiClarki

ClarkiClarki New Member

I have to completely agree with dlw on this issue. Every other year is enough. They really do seem to displace the src and everything else in the river due to their large numbers. I am looking forward to a humpyless fall as well......

14. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Bigfoot is blurry

Good points. I enjoy fishing for humpies but there are some drawbacks. The biggest in my mind is the crowds that stumble to the river when they hear they can keep a few salmon.

15. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

If you know where to look for searuns during a big humpy year you can have glory days.

Without giving up when and where I will only say to look for cutts in those places where they can get away from the hustle and bustle of the humpy.

Last year was a record hump year and we killed the silvers.