EVEN YEAR PINKS

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by mtlhead, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

just remember, throw 'em back

i agree with KerryS. SRC's and Dollies (although illegal) can be caught in great numbers even while the river is chock full of humpies. i would try to bounce an egg pattern along the bottom as last year a TON of SRC's, dollies, and baby steelies went ape for some discarded humpy eggs. i threw them in after i kept a bright humpy for the barby last year on the stilly. as soon as the eggs hit the water fish came out of the woodwork and they ate every last one of those eggs. maybe i'm weird but i could never get enough of a 5lb humpy bucking around on the end of a 4 weight. just my $.02

2. nicoldrysdale

nicoldrysdale New Member

hey dlw,

I've fished pinks and coho off the beach on Vancouver Island for the last ten years.

(There's some fishermen who are constantly lettin' you know how many fish they catch - generally to impress; i'm usually first in the queue to slag them - it's only in defense of the pink that i mention numbers at all).
    In the last two months i've hooked into more than a hundred coho off the beach; i've got some experience with their fighting qualities.

Pinks also have the reputation up here that they are poor fighters and are easy to catch (invariably this opinion is held by fishermen who fish from boats). On August 10, there was a wall of fish 30' deep for 500 yards on either side of an estuary on the east coast of Vancouver Island.
    I sat on a log for 2 hours and watched 47 flyfishermen have a shot at them. Of the 47 anglers, only one was catching fish. The 46 others didn't think pinks were that easy to catch. I recently mentioned on another thread that a few weeks ago a fly fisherman, new to the sport (with a very dodgy cast), caught in the region of 20 coho in a float tube in one day.

I'm not the only guy up here who admires the pink. In fact, a couple of days ago i was discussing this same topic with a friend who is considered by many as one of the best fly fisherman in B.C.; he's an exec. at Islander reels, he writes numerous articles and has just returned from fishing for tarpon and permit in Florida. The only reason I mention the latter ( which he wouldn't) is simlpy for the purpose of establishing that his opinion on the fighting qualities of a fish warrants consideration.
    He greatly admires the pink and concurred that it was the most underated fish on the west coast and concurred that, pound for pound, it put up a harder and smarter fight than coho.

This defense of the pink is not to establish it as a better fish than the coho - not at all; however, I think this salmon deserves more respect than it currently gets.

Personally, i feel fortunate to have the privelege of fly fishing for it.

Dl, maybe it's not so much that the pinks up here are a better strain than the ones down there in Washington but, rather, that our coho up here are wimps compared to yours. :WINK

cheers
    nic

3. Preston

Preston Active Member

Hear, hear! Pinks don't get no respect, but caught in saltwater they are hard, if not spectacular, fighers giving a very good account of themselves on a 5- or 6-weight outfit. Killed, cleaned and iced quickly they can be excellent fare on the barbecue as well.

4. SeaClarki

SeaClarki New Member

nic,

I think I know exactly what river mouth you talk about, I was up there from seattle and fished that afternoon on the 10th. That school of fish was amazing! Funny thing was, with the wind, I don't think the fishers next too me even relized you could see the fish as they would give me a funny look when I said I could. As for the pinks fighting abbilites, I was very impressed. I was fishing an 8 wt to combat the wind and still had a blast with the pinks. One thing i noticed was that the fishing completely died off when the tide was rising near dark, I fished late and failed to catch anything. I too noticed That relatively few people were catching fish during the day, seemed like only a handfull were having consistent success. Trip was sure a nice break from my recently unsuccessful steelhead fishing down here in Wa.lol :HAPPY

5. dlw

dlw New Member

I would have to agree that when they are fresh they put up a good fight although I've never had one make a reel burning run and have never seen one jump durring a battle. Coho on the other hand jump, spin, run and tail dance, even after they are old and turn color. After humpies are in freshwater a week or so their fight really goes downhill. This is when they become an annoyance. In the middle to upper reaches of a river they clog up every hole and spawn across every tailout, making wading very difficult.
    I wouldn't consider them underated at all, well at least not in Puget Sound. During September of an odd year the rivers are packed full of snaggers and fishermen. Even fly fishing for them is getting popular. I often enjoy fly fishing for them, but after catching 20 or so it gets a little boring and I go back to fishing for cutts.

6. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

long live the pink!

i am just not getting it! i understand that catching fish that are too easy can get quite boring for some people (not me!), but the moment when catching fish gets boring to me, then i geuss ill just up and quit. on a river with minimal crowds (hey it is possible) and a fish on the rod, i could never get bored. i get a kick out of catching bullheads for cryin out loud! if its too boring, mix it up! try to get one on a dry fly, or fish an insanely light tippet, or something! pull out the 3 weight and give it a go. i can NEVER get enough of a fish on my rod, its that simple. even when the fishing gets tough i am always having fun. i never quit having fun when i have my rod in hand.

7. Rxfisher

Rxfisher New Member

I enjoy flyfishing for pinks. Take your 4 or 5wt and a floaitng line is all you need to catch fish all day. Experiment a little and you'll find these fish will aggressively take flies in the surface all day long. Even took my wife and mother in law flyfishing for Skagit pinks last fall. Neither had ever flyfished before and both of the ended up having a blast catching pinks on their own with light rods and floating lines. I can't wait until my 3yr old daughter is ready to pick up her first flyrod and start wading the river. I never got bored of hooking fish and fish however my forarms did get a little tired. I look forward to next September. Steve

8. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

"or fish an insanely light tippet, or something! pull out the 3 weight and give it a go."

I disagree. There is a point to where it stops being fishing and turns into torture. Using to light a tippet or rod for the targeted fish is where this begins. A three weight rod is to light for humpy.

9. rockfish

rockfish Member

last year at possesion bar they were everywhere, 20 fish a day it seemed. they would follow it right to the boat and take and almost leap in the boat.

10. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

whatever, i was making a point. its fishing, its supposed to be fun, remember?

11. mtlhead

mtlhead Member

I guess I realy got a responce form this question, now it's turning into a thread like the "clave" discussion did. Pinks are fun for a while, I have had some of my most memorable days fishing with my wife and children while they filled the rivers! It's pretty cool to see everyone you love having a blast and catchen' fish untill they are too tired to reel in any more fish. This only happens on a) Opening day of truot fishing
    b) when it's a pink year
    all I was saying is that its pretty weird to see that we now have a run forming on the even years also,I bet that the alaskans are not to happy to hear this.

12. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I have forgotten more then you will know youngblood. Learn some respect for your quary.