Ever caught a bird?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jason Rolfe, Mar 1, 2006.

1. espja

espja Member

I hooked a couple of birds. A diving bird off of Browns Point and also a duck at a local lake. I thought they would of put up a better fight. :) I also hooked a otter while cutthroat fishing...but I don't know if I had a fish on before it my fly.

2. Donald Johnson

Donald Johnson cuttman

Had a swallow pick up a chrom emerger once, but fortunately it dropped it.

3. Fly Fanatic

Fly Fanatic Bull Trout

Home Page:
    I once hit a stellar's jay with my rod on my backcast. Unfortunately, it killed the bird, which is pretty surprising considering how big it was!

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I've got a regular fishing partner who's almost uncanny in his ability to hook other critters.

I've been with him on several occasions when swallows have swooped down to pick off his dry fly or emerger from the surface. I've seen him hook a turtle at a desert lake.

On two different trips he's hooked a snake. I about died laughing once when he insisted I release a garter snake that he'd foul-hooked. Turns out he's terrified of snakes.

He told me he's also hooked a muskrat and a beaver. Based on what I've seen, I have no reason to doubt him.

He's also pretty good at catching fish and usually catches more than I do :mad:

K

5. pcknshvl

pcknshvl Member

A swallow once picked up my callibaetis on Dry Falls--it then got wrapped up in the leader. I was able to gently release it without harm. I guess my imitation was pretty good!

Tom

6. Drag-Free Drift

Drag-Free Drift Member

I've hooked bats, birds, a beaver, and my brother-in-law. Landed 'em all except the beaver. He put up one heck of a fight before breaking me off. The brother-in-law played Mr. Tough Guy and had me just yank that big, barbed salmon hook from his cheek. Didn't feel a thing, he said, standing there in below freezing temps. Different story, though, once he got warmed up in the motel room.

7. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

In the roughly 15 years I've been fishing my popper, I've only caught only a couple gulls and one duck. Gulls usually hover a bit before diving. A lot of spirited yelling and popping gets them away and I keep a close eye on the ducks and don't cast near them. I don't like releasing thrashing birds.

Leland.

8. Barry Vennard

Barry Vennard New Member

I've caught two... Once a seagull came after a surface popper I was using for stripers in the Cheasepeke Bay.. It was very difficult to get the bird off as the hook was fairly big and barbed. The other was catching a swallow who bumped into a dry fly while I was false casting. the swallows were picking off PMD's in the air and i don't know if this was an accident or if the swallow went after my fly while it was in the air.

9. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

When I was working/fishing in Key west I hooked a couple pelicans when I was fishing the flats. Their bite is soft compared to a black back gull.
    Dump ducks? Oh yes, I've hooked plenty of those in my day....

10. Tony

Tony Left handed Gemini.

I caught a duck once ended up breaking me off my tippet was way too light for that battle. I've had plenty of other close calls, a seagulls, bats, and barn swallows all that have grabbed a fly and then let it go, and one time out at cady a huge dragonfly flew up and grabbed a small dry on my backcast got hooked somehow, really messed up my cast and sounded like an airplane as it went past me on the forward end of the cast.
    tony

11. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Largest bird I've hooked was a Brown Pelican hooked while fishing of the beach in Cabo. it was just getting light. I had just let the cast fly and the bird flies by. My jiggie stops mid air and hooks up on the birds wing. It keeps flying without slowing down. Drag is smoking off my reel. After about 10 seconds, the hook pulls. I reel in a huge clump of Pelican feathers.

12. mstrofsinanju

mstrofsinanju {Fly fishing} = Time well spent

Fishing bait with the wife years ago on Lake Washington, A damn duck dove down (4xD's ha ha), 25-30' to grab her mellow/egg tempting. She thought she had A fish and set the hook. It took A few moments before we realized that A duck that had just re-emerged on the surface about 40 feet out would flap its wings and dive under water every time she pulled on the line. The poor thing had swallowed the hook about half way down it's throat. We finally got the thing close enough to grab it, and with the wife crying and protesting the whole time, I got the good ole pink hook remover out, looped the line and stuck it down the birds throat under heavy protest. I got the hook turned around, and removed it. It didn't seem to bad off for the ordeal. It flopped away, and then flew back out to the water squawking and bitching the whole time. Not to much blood so I don't think she did to much damage. I'm sure the bird might tell a different tail though, and I'll bet it didn't eat for a few days.

13. oldfish

oldfish New Member

Yes! ...and fortunately he spit it out. I'm not sure what I'd do if I hooked one by the beak. I also caught a bat once and he took a dive right into the water!

14. HotinTotten

HotinTotten New Member

Last summer my dad caught a 2 lb Bonaparte gull on a clouser minnow- the bird wasnt hooked, it was simply too greedy to let go of the fly! Put up a nice fight too, was fun to watch the thing spin around overhead as it tried to make its escape through the air. Had to pry his beak open to get him to release the clouser!

I've also seen cormorant caught on herring plugs, one of them managed to find the bait at 120 feet. amazing divers!

15. HotinTotten

HotinTotten New Member

I caught a bat once too, when I was a kid fishing off a dock in late twighlight, the poor thing found the fly just as I whipped out a cast, kind of like catching a fish right when you whip back for another cast- the thing landed 40 feet out in the lake, and never recovered.