Excellent New Stillwater Book

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Tim Lockhart, Jan 29, 2014.

1. jwg

jwg Active Member

While there are times on stillwater when you can see and react, many stillwater problems are solved as a result of multiple observations, and knowledge of the lake structure, and elements of experience, coming together. And then things shut down and you have to figure it out again!

Such day on the water narratives really help teach how to do this.

Jay

Irafly likes this.
  2. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

When I attended Oregon State I took the fly fishing course that Mike Gorman taught (early 1990s). I didn't realize he has been publishing books, so thanks for the recommendation. He was very excited about stealth fly fishing for steelhead in skinny water at the time, and liked the Metolious for trout. Too bad his class didn't have any field trips in those days! The next term I took the steelhead fishing class from a different instructor, an old school gear guy. We tied lots of sailor knots and yarnies, but I didn't learn much. I always regretted not fishing for steelhead and salmon in those days, but I never had any extra money for gas or flies.

Jeff Dodd and Mark Kraniger like this.
  3. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

My copy of Effective Stillwater Flyfishing just arrived yesterday. Good stuff! I know what I'll be reading this weekend while the cold front moves through . . .

4. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I'm planning on using his bloodworm pattern next week when the warmer weather returns.

5. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

DimeBrite we may have taken the same classes , I graduated Oregon State 92'. I consider Michael Gorman a friend and mentor who really got me into fly fishing. His last book Gorilla Steelhead tactics was great and I can't wait to read his new one

DimeBrite likes this.
  6. dp

dp ~El Pescador

thanks to this post, I just bought the book. looks good!

7. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Just finished the book. As I was expecting it was very well done with great info and photos.