Experienced steelhead angler needed

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by GANDERWITZ, Jul 4, 2013.

1. GANDERWITZ

GANDERWITZ Member

I am looking for an experienced steelhead angler to show me the ropes of steelhead angling. I am an intermediate to advanced trout fly fisherman that just moved to the south Puget sound area and have fallen in love with salmon and steelhead angling without actually landing a big fish. I have a 16' Lavro guide edition drift boat that we can take out for the day to help better our chances of landing a fish.

Is anyone interested in a drift with a newbie? I will take the oars and you show me the ropes!

Richard Torres and DanielOcean like this.
  2. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Active Member

I can't help but feel like your comment is written like a classifieds ad in the personal's section. LOL. All kidding aside, WELCOME. There are loads and loads of knowledgeable people here on this forum. Unfortunately, I am not as good as others but am down for doing a drift. I am basically in the same boat as you. I love steehead fishing even though I have yet to hook one. Nothing wrong with two knuckle head noobs trying to catch fish. Again welcome to the forum, and also the area.

GANDERWITZ likes this.
  3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Ganderwitz,

I appreciate your direct approach. A personal mentor is most assuredly the most direct route to success at just about anything. Wish I'd had one. Having a drift boat provides access to more water, and that's conducive to a strategy of finding water where steelhead live. Otherwise having a boat isn't necessarily correlated with landing more fish. Right now I don't have any good suggestions, as summer run returns appear to be very poor on local rivers this year. I've been out twice and skunked both times, so I'm not your guy.

Sg

4. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

And if SG is saying he's not your guy, then nobody is! I'd stick with trout this year... No steelhead.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

5. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Don't get discouraged because Salmo can't catch fish. There are other folks out there that will fish with you besides him. Do some searches on here about the rivers close to you. Do some searches on steelhead fishing in general. Offering boat rides will surely get someone interested. A lot of people on here that don't have boats would enjoy fishing from one. Check into some of the rivers on the east side also. Many will be worth fishing for steelhead in a few short months if not now.

6. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

I'm located in Puyallup and know the southern rivers for steelhead very well. Let me know if you want to get on the water. Summer runs are in and runs should get stronger...

7. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Active Member

Seems that steelhead numbers are discouraging this year. Thats why I bought a new trout setup.

8. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Carp FTW

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

9. Steelhead are gay anyway :)

Kcahill likes this.
  10. Josh

Josh dead in the water

That would explain their low reproduction rate.

ozcast, kmac, Pat Lat and 2 others like this.
  11. One would say they are most discriminated fish in this equal oppurtunity state

12. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

I got one on a skated dry on Tuesday

Jamie Wilson likes this.
  13. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Welcome to the forum Ganderwitz. As for steelhead you'll do just fine here with your trout tactics. Finding someone who is intimate with the rivers such as Thomas is your golden ticket.

14. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

Just nymph the shit out of them in your Lavro. Nothing goes together quite as well as bobbers and Lavro drift boats. If you don't beileve me, check out the put ins on the lower Hoh and tell me what you see.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  15. GANDERWITZ

GANDERWITZ Member

This is awesome! Thank you all for your help and advice. I have gotten a couple of pm's from the exact type of anglers I am looking for and will hit the river with them shortly. Thomas and Dan much appreciated! I will also be doing some fishing with the resident newbie Daniel Ocean to see if we can land that dream metal head.

Thanks again to all and I look forward to being a part of this forum.

LG