Pattern Experimenting with tail

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by mike doughty, Oct 1, 2004.

1. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Been cutting some strips of Pink craft fur into strips as a sub for the rabbit. The hair is longer and seemed to work well in the salt. I can not wait to try it out on some Steelhead this winter. I get at least the same amount of movement from the craft fur as I do the rabbit and it seems to sink better once the material backing gets water logged then the rabbit skin does. Got a large piece of it from my local fly shop for under $3.

2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Another experiment trying to imitate a pink worm.

Attached Files:

3. cmtundra

cmtundra New Member

...just a word of caution. Whenever expirementing with new tail, one should use protection. :rofl:

4. Monk

Monk Redneck

Here is my creation. The tail shrinks down really thin. I have been using this pattern for years. Works for steelhead, lagoon silvers and dollies.

edit: sorry the picture sucks, I have a ghetto video camera and had to make a still off of it. Sorry.

Attached Files:

5. Flip

Flip The dumb kid

If you can find it, and you will have a hard time finding it, there is a varigated pink and orange chennile that is very dense and wont come apart easy. if you burn the ends of it prior to tying it into your fly, it wont come apart at all.

in the water this sucker wiggles like noones buisness, tied with small dumbells under an indicator it does GREAT in stacked fish suituations where others only snag, both for steel, and dollies, and salmon for that matter.
    i could be prusuaded to sending a pic, if i could figgure out how to take one of a fly with my POS camera. :rolleyes:

6. Jeremy Husby

Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Home Page:
    I have braid together polar chennille before for long tails and it worked great and is durable. I have also in my salt patterns used tubing to extend marabou out for a great tail action, and that could be used as a tail on a marabou steely pattern. I'll post a pic to explain better.

Attached Files: