Fairbanks Outfitters (Gary's Fly Shoppe) Closing.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Troutrageous, May 24, 2012.

1. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

2. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

2 questions. 1,when did he start his shop in yakima? 2. was he the first flyshop in yakima? mike w

3. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Sorry to hear Gary's shop is closing. Bought a steelhead rod at his shop, a redington redfly many moons ago. Gary's was the only shop in Yakima and Ellensburg didn't really have a full fly shop, more like a guide shop or two. While working for the Yakama Fisheries we experienced our first shot at breathable waders (Dan Bailey lightweights) thanks to Gary...boy did the breathables make things easier!!

I wish the best for Gary as he retires (assumed).

4. Westfork

Westfork Member

Gary's a pleasant fellow... sad to see Yakima lose a fly shop... E-Burg has 3 and now Yakima batting 0.

All that being said, it wasn't Nirvana, just a Fly Shop tucked away on a dusty corner.

ME <--- wishing Gary all the best in his future endeavors....

Waiting for what's next.

5. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

I see here the same thing I see with archery tackle, that people are willing to buy, but they want something that'll enable them to be successful without putting in the time to learn. Compound bows and super spinning gear with catch-everything lures seem to be like that. There's a learning curve to fly fishing, and for folks who either don't have the time, or won't take the time, well, they won't do it. It'll take quite a while to learn to shoot a longbow with any accuracy, but a compound, well, a half-hour at a decent pro shop and you're good to go!

6. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

I talked to Gary last week and it sounds like he's doing what's best for him. I guess in this industry there is no "grandfathering in" with the big companies and it was finally enough to convince him to go elsewhere. It's hard to compete with the internet, manufacturers selling their own product, and people wanting something for nothing. You as a consumer have to decide what's more important; get the best price or support your local economy. It looks like the people of Yakima have spoken.

Gary, I'm sure I'll see you around, good luck buddy!

7. creekx

creekx spent spinner

This is sad news. When I moved to Yakima in 1988, Gary's Fly Shoppe (or "shoppy" as we used to say) was the first place I scoped out - before I looked for an apartment. Gary and I became friends and I worked the shop occasionally when he had schedule conflicts. His shop was more than a place to buy gear, and he had all of the good stuff. It was also a social club for a number of us hard-core fly fishers.

What's happening to Gary's business reflects a trend we've been seeing for years. Back in the day, the major brands really looked after and cultivated their dealers. A fly shop essentially had to prove they were worthy of the brand, and in turn the brand promised to not allow other dealers within a 50 mile radius, or such.

Those days are gone. After decades of loyal service, many of these major brands like Simms have decided to forgo those relationships in the interest of saturating the big box store and internet markets. This hits small, non-destination fly shops like Gary's the hardest.

8. Rick Sharp

Rick Sharp Member

That's too bad hate to see this happen, I bought my first nice fly tying vise from Gary a Dyna-King about 15 years ago, still use it today.