Fast action rod blanks - Rainshadow RX8 or ???

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Richard E, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Jim Fitz

Jim Fitz Member

Richard,

I would replace my RX8 with an FT because of all the reviews I have read about FTs and I like trying new rods. Now if Kristin were to give me an RX8+ based solely on my good looks, I would probably go with that blank. I have a 10' 7 wt. FT which is my go to beach rod and a DC 8' 4 wt. FTL (Fast Taper Light) which is my go to rod for crick fishin which if I had to replace I would go with a DC 8' 4 wt. FTL (Fast Taper Light). Both the 10' FT and FTLs are said to be slower than the 9' FTs. By how much I can't personally say.

Seattle.

Jim

2. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

I have a 9ft 6wt and a 10ft 8wt. The 8wt is noticably slower than the 6wt, though it's hard to tell if this is because of the rod wt or extra length.

3. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I built an RX-8+ up at AATF with Ron and really like the action. I currently have a 6wt Steelhead taper for it and a Teeny 200 integrated sinktip for some streamer action.

Definiltely a very nice blank! I cast a Dan Craft on the Yakima about a month ago and it was very sweet. I don't remember the exact blank, but it was Jeff C's rod and maybe he'll chime in.