Favorite Boat Bag, Fly Box, Net

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by A.A., Dec 11, 2016.

1. A.A.

A.A. Active Member

Hey guys,
    I'm looking at a few things to put with the new drift boat and thought I would get your opinions based on your experience. I target steelhead.

1) Boat net? I hear good things about the nomad, but there have got to be other good ones for well under $200.
    2) Boat fly box? The umpqua ones look nice w the addition of foam on the outside. But my buddy's MFC is nice...
    3) Boat bag? Why are these things so expensive? The Patagonia great divider is on sale. But still, $200.

Thanks!

sroffe, River Pig and jake-e-boy like this.
  2. sroffe

sroffe Active Member

OK, I'll bite. Some of this is tongue and cheek, OK, so don't get mad.

Nomad is a nice net. I have one
    Umpqua makes nice fly boxes too. I have,... more than one.
    Don't know anything about the boat bags, I've been to cheap to buy one.

Now, on the cheap:

Frabill net with a rubber bag.
    Plano fly boxes
    Rubbermaid Roughneck Tubs

Seriously looking at the Rubbermaid tubs for my boat stuff., and I do own a Frabill net and Plano fly boxes too.

So, there you have it. The fish really don't care what brand net we have, how nice our fly boxes are, or how expensive the container is that we store all our junk. They just care about the fly.

jake-e-boy, River Pig and A.A. like this.
  3. A.A.

A.A. Active Member

Agree with the frabill net and skipping the boat bag! I think a big fly box will be good to have, even at $50.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    sroffe and jake-e-boy like this.
  4. Brian in OR.

Brian in OR. Active Member

Got the Nomad and Love it, I use an Orvis boat bag and like it. I can put all my lake gear and fly boxes in it and not have to wear a vest....Dont use a big fly box as i have multiple boxes for the different flies etc.

sroffe likes this.
  5. fishbadger

fishbadger Active Member

Frabill net, get the conservation series one, easy to handle in moving water, and fish friendly.

P-gucci great divider bag. Yes. Had one ten years, thinking about getting another one, as it's always stuffed to the gills. No clue why they are so spendy, must be a killer margin on those things.

Fly box? I'm no help on that one. I'm still one of those losers that uses the old Cabela's ones with the double sided foam. Foam shredded so I bought new foam.

G'luck!

fb

A.A. and sroffe like this.
  6. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

I have had the Gucci divider and currently have the sage bag, but after a couple of my buddies picked up the newest Simms bag I'm ready to make a switch when I have the extra funds. So much easier to get in and out of, the magnetic close is so legit! Genius!!! The problem with waterproof zippers is that they are a pain in the ass to quickly get in and out of when things are moving fast and what happens is you inevitably half ass shut it and go back to fishing. Then it rains or you take a wave..... now all your shit is wet. The sage bag is enormous but my issue with it is the top storage zipper is NOT waterproof and it fills with water that is hard to get out. My bag permanently smells like a hot dump because of it. The main storage compartment is great and holds a ton of gear and is all adjustable and as long as I am diligent to fully zipper it shut or use the storm flap correctly it is waterproof. I'd call it 7/10. The great divider is a simple no frills deal and other than the zipper being tough (all waterproof are) it is pretty legit, I'd also give it a 7/10. But that Simms bag smokes it for being user friendly. 9/10 and only because of the price.

Nets and fly boxes are whatever. Buy what works and is within your budget and call it good. I have all kinds of both and I get cheaper and cheaper with them every time I make a purchase.

Thinking about it further I'd drop the Gucci bag down a peg because without a storm flap it's either open or closed to the elements, there isn't any half assing it

A.A. likes this.
  7. TribalDragon911

TribalDragon911 The Breaker of Tippets and Arrows

If you have time and access to tools you can make your own awesome net. I studied up on it and it's my winter project. Douglas Fir w/ Claro Walnut accent stripe. Using a ghost bag from Brodin.

Fly boxes are fly boxes I guess. Buy or make for some fun.

I've only ever used my NRS drybag so no opinion on any other brand. I use Rubbermaid storage boxes that I have added extra sealing material to the rim on my boat. I lash one in the bow and one in the stern to act as buoyancy. I tested it at a local reservoir and it keeps it from deep sixing. My drifter is wood though so it's lighter than a fiberglass or aluminum boat.