Favorite flies for winter steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by John Hicks, Nov 7, 2005.

1. John Dougher

John Dougher Member

Stephen,
    After you stopped laughing at my attempt to tie an A leech, you would agree that I need to continue my relationship with Hill's.

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

"Go to" fly for winter steelhead.

I don't find steelhead to be very particular about fly patterns; note Bob's point about a piece of red yarn catching many fish over the decades. For the past 21 years my standby has been an easy to dress variation of a General Practitioner on a size 1 or 2 hook. I use orange bucktail and some flashabou or crystal flash for a long tail - length of hook shank. Then a red wool body with silver rib and orange palmered hackle, finished off with a flashabou or crystal flash wing. A few dozen get me through every winter. I also carry a few small bright patterns and some black and purple ones, mainly for emotional security, as I'm certain the fish don't care.

I'll take a flawless presentation over a perfectly dressed fancy pattern any day.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

3. Preston

Preston Active Member

A wise man once said that "the fly that will not catch a steelhead has never been tied". Many years ago, it was catching winter steelhead while gear fishing with a couple of strands of brightly colored yarn that convinced me that fly fishing for them was a possibility. Pick something that appeals to YOU and fish it with confidence.

4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Just my opinion, but I've found that hatchery winter steelies aren't the greatest biters. Folks catch them on flies but it can be long periods between fish. Native fish are another story. They are more aggressive in taking the fly. It may have to due with the slightly warmer water temps you get in Feb, March and April. I've had my best luck on large ugly leech patterns in black, purple or blue.
    Brian

5. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

That's about right Preston. I have a box stuffed full of speys, GPs, Freight Trains, Purple Perils and gobs of Marabous. When I get to the river and open my box, I fish the one that falls out.

Leland.

6. Backyard

Backyard SANCHO!

Steelhead will bite just about anything... finding them is the hard part.

7. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

Heres a fly I tied named after my second daughter.
    Its called the "Leah Marabou 1105" . Made to graze the bottom of deep pools 5' or deeper for them stubborn Giant winter Steelies.

This version is tied with green eyes after my daughter.

8. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Beautiful fly, mind tying me up a dozen or so and giving them to me on the house? just kidding. Pretty fly though.

9. Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice Senior Member

Believe it or not Tippet2 your tied flies probably stand more of a chance on catching fish than store bought. I have found some of the worst flies I have tied do Great! and little stone is right you could probably tear a piece of your shirt off and use that on the hook and it will probably work. but Heck man half of the fun is tying up that bizaare looking fly to see if it actually works what a kick that is!!:D

10. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

I believe in a big selection. My own ranges from classics like the Brad's Brat (my Hoh River top fly), spun marabous, the good old Comet, McCullough for low clear water, or any of the many good rabbit strip and marabou leeches. For summer fishing I always have a few Bulkley Mouse skaters at the ready. I do not employ extremely heavily weighted flies as I do not subscribe to the belief that a fly has to be bouncing bottom to attract a steelhead, even a winter steelhead. Like Leland, I have my steelhead box jammed with flies as I do believe in selection, selection, selection because we never know what fly might provoke a steelhead into a strike.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man (NFR)

I like Leland's idea. Open your fly box and use what falls out.

Jim

12. Raven

Raven New Member

If you believe in all the flies in your box then let the fates choose your fly.

Leland.

13. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hey Leland: You working with Les again these days?

14. Raven

Raven New Member

Yes, I am. In fact we were just talking about this thread.

Leland.

15. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    Wow, everyone has a lot of input on what works and so far I see that everything works if fished right to the right spot at the exact right time under the right light with your mouth held just right. So with all of that said this is my go to fly. I haven't fished it yet but this winter it is going to get a lot of use. :beer1:

John Hicks