NFR Favorite Ipa (preferably Wa, Mt, Id, Or)

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by DennisE, Apr 18, 2012.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I envy you guys that have such a great selection of IPAs. Here in the wilderness we pretty much have to take what we get or make a long drive. But I have found happiness with Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA. It is available, affordable and seems to have a lot more character than many of the ales out there that are popularly priced. It has become my favorite at the exclusion of all others until I find something better.

Ive

2. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Snoqualmie Wildcat IPA gets my vote. Nothing like hitting the river then stopping in at one of the local pubs in Fall city and sucking back a couple.

SCARBOO

3. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

Hopworks is pretty tasty. Stone is a killer and so is Lagunitas. How they all charge $6 for 22oz is beyond me though...

Anybody seen the SN Torpedo in the tall boy cans yet? Read they were going to make them. Sure would be a great river beer.

4. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Ive - if you can get Sierra Nevada, keep a look out for their Ruthless Rye IPA. I wouldn't put it in the same league as the best IPA's on the market but it stands out among the grocery store standards.

5. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Whats the big deal about IPAs, Its just beer , it gives you a buzz & makes you piss. Budwieser was once a IPA a hundred years ago or so!!!!!

6. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Big Al's Hop Villain is a favorite IDA or Black IPA. Whatever you want to call it, it is a tasty treat for sure!

7. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Budweiser isn't an Ale. It was never an Imperial pale ale.

cds

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Some of us prefer our beer to taste good.

I am a huge nerd and brewer, but actually have a mild alcohol intolerance (allergy is a better way to describe it I guess), and can't drink much more than one or two beers, so I choose to go for the good stuff and enjoy it. Alcohol is an unfortunate necessity in beer for me. Tastes like shit without it.

9. Alan Green

Alan Green Spiritual and Legal Counsel to the Fishes

Mmmm.....IPAs.....

Rosebud IPA is delicious. I like the Diamond Knot, previously mentioned. Always will have a soft spot for the Boundary Bay from my B'ham days. I think to this day though, my favorite beer remains (though maybe not technically an IPA) Rogue Brutal Bitter. Damn that's good stuff.

Anybody know when Waddell's is doing Hoppy Days again????

10. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Well acording to the special on tv about the budwieser brand a hundred years ago or so it was a ipa.But it evolved over the years to suit the taste of the general population who prefered a lighter beer, more of a lager style. I think that they got the recipe right as far as sales go as by far budweiser is the best selling beer in the U.S. Of course as any politician knows good advertising will sell anything

11. Clarki

Clarki I'd rather be reading water

I was lucky enough to try some of Matthew Gulbransen's April Fools IPA this past weekend, WOW, freaking amazing. Next in line is Boneyard IPA (only available by the keg) best citrus aroma out there.

12. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Budweiser has been a lager from day 1. Annheiser Busch was started by german immigrants to the US, and they were very opposed to brewing ales. IPA's of that time were exclusively a British thing.

The only reason Bud brands are the best selling in the USA (though their sales are on a steady decline as the craft beer movement grows), is because they were one of the only brewing companies in the country for almost half a century, as the barriers to entry to the market were impossible from prohibition until the 80s. So, they had that long to make the American people think beer was supposed to taste like shit. The "light" beer thing started during the war years while the men were overseas. They were trying to market to women.

/pointless history lesson

aplTyler likes this.
  13. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

If you need an IPA just to get through the day and have a good time then something is wrong with you....;)(just a stab at the ridiculous comments on the tokin fly guy thread)

Here on this side of the country I'm lucky enough to have Great Lakes Commodore Perry available, along with a ton of other great local brews from right here in Cleveland. As far as west coast ones, I like the Stone Ruination, Lagunitas, and the yearly editions of Sierras Harvest Ales are always awesome.

aplTyler likes this.
  14. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

I'm not a hop head but when I'm in the mood, I like Bridgeport IPA. Adequately hopped but not too over the top. A close second Diamond Knot IPA is more of a mouthful but it's very pleasantly balanced that you hardly notice.

15. Theron

Theron Active Member

Budweiser is one of those beers brewed for people who really don't like the taste of beer. The West Coast has so many beers it is hard to decide what to try next. I always look forward to my visits and a chance to try out some really great beers. Last visit I found a place on Whidbey Island that claimed to have 600 beers in stock. Left there with my wallet considerable lighter.