Favorite winter steelhead patterns.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Panhandle, Feb 10, 2011.

1. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

If you don't mind me asking,Besides picking the hardest way possible to catch a fish, what are you doing in regards to conservation?

2. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    I don't nymph with attached weight. Not for trout, not for steelhead not for carp. The major reason for this is my time in the great lakes. With modern technology I no longer think nymphing was needed there either. The place is a shit show of guides and nymphers. The fishing isn't all that fun even when fish are hooked all the time.

Salmo hit the nail on the head. The problem with nymphers is that they are gear fishermen. Now it's fine to be a gear fisherman, however, it isn't being a flyfisherman.

Flyfishermen pick up the players. As the individual fish turn on and off we catch the willing fish. It's a naturally regulating cycle where everyone gets their shot. There is no opportunity for glutony. Gear fishermen are able to force feed fish like a farmer feding a foie Gras goose. Essentailly, the inherant disadvantages of being a flyfisherman are overcome by fishing gear with a fly rod. Nymphers don't give flyfishermen a bad name. They are not flyfishing, save for a few examples like the hopper dropper etc.

The other part of the issue is guides and "the industry" which require that the fish are caught, whether they are players or not. I prefer the idea that we all get our shots at players, wild fish are required (hatchery fish are poor players) and that it isn't as easy as flopping a bobber onto the edge of the current or around the wood. So that's how I play the game. You do it how you want.

The question should not be why won't I consider it flyfishing but why is it important that I do?

In the end nymphers are a whole lot like gay men to me. I support that they do what makes them happy. I will fight for their right to do it even. I'm not gonna join in though, and please.....no photos.

Go Sox,
    cds

3. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

dear golfman.

dont be a hater.

thanks.

so your mad because beads are not flies.... totaly cool to nymph the same setup if you use a larege green caddis?

pretty sure there are more eggs floating around the op in march then caddis larvae. (please correct me if thats not true).

Its not like bead fishing takes less skill either, its just a different skill set. you still have to read water, drift drag free, etc.

im glad u dont see acknowledge the existence of nymphers. you wont even notice when we pick fish out behind you.

4. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Sometimes, it boggles the mind that the nymph/bead/swing argument keeps coming up as a serious discussion. It's like watching the rabbit vibrator vs. non-traditional vibrator arguments on the sex toy forums. Or whether or not a real furry dresses up and engages sexually as an animal, or it's enough just to write out those furry fantasies.

I've been digging on the reverse marabou tube this winter, and I really like the way the looks in the winter waters.

5. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

6. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

nice simple egg with weight. thanks for the link.

7. Rick Sharp

Rick Sharp Member

8. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Hey Rick, I like your ties. I think I will tie up some like those myself.

I am lost following this thread as to how your posting of those flies started a rant about nymphing, especially since you are obviously swing those flies. If people object to the bead on this fly (note it is behind the hook, not pegged above the hook and thus will not lead to flossing) then they should object to your use of Krystal flash on the fly since that is synthetic as well.

Objecting to newer (fly) fishing methods because they catch more fish and keep them from hitting someone else's swung fly is like complaining about freeways because your car can only go 30 mph.

I happen to swing flies more than nymph, but I will do what the situation dictates to catch fish, which is my primary purpose out there. If it was just to cast, I would join a flyfishing club with casting ponds and spend my time there. Hell, the WDFW says I need to keep all the hatchery fish I catch. I guess they want us fisherman out there cleaning up their garbage they dumped in the rivers.

Some of these posters sound like my dad, "It's just not the way it is used to be...." and "Don't say what you are doing is the same as I am doing."

And, if you really cared about the fish, you wouldn't fish at all. That is the only way to assure a mortality of zero.

Wayne

9. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

First off, don't put me in the same category of old fucks like you, Kerry, Salmo, and Phil; I still have my whole life ahead of me. Secondly, thank you for mentioning my name in the same sentence as Leland and Kinney :rofl:

Its a generational thing. We live in an immediate gratification society where who ever gets the most, the fastest, is the best. This breeds a very egotistical-self absorbed younger generation, or bead fisherman, whatever you want to call them. I stopped caring whatsoever what other people are doing about a year ago; its made me a lot happier. ;)

Me, I love swinging. In fact it is the most enjoyable thing in the world to me. Catching fish is secondary to the experience. You can't explain this to someone, either you get it or you don't. There aren't a lot of folks around anymore that "get it" which is what's really bothering you. I'll take three days of no fish to hand swinging than three fish to hand in one day nymphing. I know, i'm a fool.

10. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Ok, I apologize for highjacking your thread...maybe dead on pan...dead on...conservation I belong to WSC, CCA, SSBC. have done river clean ups, restoration etc.

Back to the thread...I have no one but many favorite patterns..depends on water clarity, pressure on the water, current etc. I went out to pick a few and gave up and just opened a couple boxes...got more from classic's I like to tie but don't fish much...and low water flies that I ran out of room to show...

These are a couple boxes I keep in the truck and move from box to box depending on where I'm fishing..

11. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Im with panhandle. Well said sir. Nice flies golfman.
    If its big and flashy Ill fish the shit out of it. If its big and dark, Ill fish the shit out of it. I caught a beat up played out hatchery fish on a triple egg fly the other day,but I was SWINGING it, no bobber

12. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I like what ever is in my fishing partner's fly box. Other than that I have no preference.

13. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

yes,... it does. it takes a lot less skill at the vise too.

confirming one of golfmans points,... these aren't the players.

14. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

WTF? I haven't even posted on this thread until the above post about liking the flies in my partner's fly box. Why you bringing me into your stupid argument?

15. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Hey, it was Golf. I was just making it clear that I'm young unlike you old farts.