Ferguson's Favorite Saltwater Flies

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
I thought I might share these with you mad saltwater fly fisherman. Quite a while ago, I won a raffle at our fly club and got these framed flies that Bruce Ferguson tied. It is dated November 2, 1994. Enjoy: Whoops, sorry for the duplicates.
Ferguson\'s Sandlance Fly.jpg
Ferguson\'s Herring Fly.jpg
Ferguson\'s Allard & Green & Silver.jpg
Ferguson\'s Sandlance Fly.jpg
Ferguson\'s Herring Fly.jpg

Ferguson's Sandlance Fly
Ferguson's Herring Fly
Allard Yellow
Allard Orange
Ferguson's Green & Silver

I thought I might share these with you mad saltwater fly fisherman. Quite a while ago, I won a raffle at our fly club and got these framed flies that Bruce Ferguson tied. It is dated November 2, 1994. Enjoy: Whoops, sorry for the duplicates. View attachment 28276 View attachment 28277 View attachment 28278 View attachment 28276 View attachment 28277

Ferguson's Sandlance Fly
Ferguson's Herring Fly
Allard Yellow
Allard Orange
Ferguson's Green & Silver
Thanks for sharing. The May/June Northwest Fly Fishing magazine featured a very nice article on Bruce Ferguson.
Jack

That is just awesome Larry! I haven't fished any of them besides the Ferguson Green & Silver, which works every time and always will. I need to look it up, but were the double hook flies mainly used for bucktailing?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ferguson's Green & Silver was one of the first flies I learned to tie when I started SRC fishing in Puget Sound. It stayed dry in the box for some time as I thought other more “baitfish looking” patterns certainly had to be better than something that looked like I don’t know what. At the end of a day without a bump I put it on to see what it looked like in the water. Very first cast was a cutthroat of around 10 inches and my only fish that day. It comes out of the box a lot now.

I used to tie the Green & Silver on long shank hooks with the chenille in the back of the fly rather than as a "shoulder". The fish seemed to key on the chartreuse color, and putting it in the back of the fly seemed to result in more hookups.

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
That is just awesome Larry! I haven't fished any of them besides the Ferguson Green & Silver, which works every time and always will. I need to look it up, but were the double hook flies mainly used for bucktailing?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Not sure about that Steve. They look easy enough to cast. I don't even know if that is legal nowadays, is it? Where is it stated in the regs...if it is? Thanks.