Fine Gauge Wire and 10% Discount

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Ed Call, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Yesterday I was wandering the isles of the Silverdale Michael's craft store. I was searching for beading wire to use in dubbing brushes, fly ribbing and for under body weighting (as opposed to lead). I found wire as fine as 32 gauge and it goes up to 20 gauge. I got a couple of 30 meter spools of the lighter and middle stuff in that range, got some hollow silver baitfish body tubing and then headed to the register.

The next nice find was that the young lady at the register asked me if I was military? (Now I don't think that my scruffy faced fat bellied self looks much like military material...but I am retired from the military) I retired from the military, does that count? She said if I could show her an ID card it sure would. I did, she scanned a barcode and I got 10% off my order...and I happened to also get a coupon for 40% off one item for my next purchase.

Apparently this store, not sure if all do this or not, offers this 10% military discount to active duty, dependants and retirees on Wednesdays. You'll never get all your fly tying supplies from such a place because the local shop has things you just won't find in a craft store...but for some items this is a stop worth making.