Fins

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by jordan101, Nov 11, 2013.

1. TB Wannabe

TB Wannabe New Member

I just convinced my wife to give up her "caddis like fins" for some Browning labeled fins like the ones I've used forever. She had been saying she was fine with her old ones until I convinced her to try the ones I got for here. Took her less than 100yrds of kicking to ask me why I didn't convince her earlier.

2. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

may the "force" be with you...;)

3. jordan101

jordan101 Member

This is very good feedback. The points of view are mixed but valid. Not 100% sure of the direction I will go other than to not use my old fins.

thanks

PT likes this.
  4. Troutcreek

Troutcreek Active Member

Jordan,
    I was in a similar situation except I was using Outcast fins. They worked fine but I thought that there may be other better alternatives. In my case a good friend let me use a pair of force fins for a day of fishing. At the end of the day it was clear that the fins made a big difference and were worth the price. To date I've only used Force and Outcast Fins so I don't have the experience to compare with the Scuba Fins.
    Good luck,
    TC

5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I agree. I started with scuba fins and tried adjustable Force Fins because everyone seemed to rave how great they were. I bought a pair and I didn't like them as well as the scuba fins. so I sold the Force Fins and went back to the scuba fins.

I know a lot of folks are sold on the Force Fins but they just didn't work all that great for me. Plus, and I can't figure this out in the least, when I was using the Force Fins my legs would cramp up. I've never had that problem with full-foot scuba fins.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers scuba fins -- I thought I was the only guy who wasn't in love with Force Fins.

6. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

You're not the only one. I have tried them and thought they worked well but not $200.00 worth as compared to other alternatives. Been using Creek Company fins for a long time. I'm on my second pair. Originaly they were $40.00 now up to $50.00. Over time (5+ years) the straps deteriorate from either atmosphere or light exposure so its best to order an extra pair of straps for the long run and keep them sealed in a dark place.

TC

7. generic

generic Active Member

You know, I wonder if folks had a pair of each to try, which would they pick...?

I say that, because up until now, I have never even heard of scuba fins being used for boats/tubes. The "rage" about Force fins has "flooded" the market of opinion. :confused:

8. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

You have to hand it to Force Fins marketing arm. They are selling an average product at a premium price and have pretty much conned the fly fishing community into believing there is nothing better. They have done this with a decades old design and tooling that has been amortized for years while making no major changes. The surge to own FF's has become a get-on-the-bandwagon sort of deal that has parallels in other products I've seen over the years. Think BMW's back in the '80s, CB radios, Beanie Baby dolls, Dyson vacuums, Minivans then Suv's and a multitude of fly fishing related products that we don't seem to be able to catch a fish without.

ForceFins are a good product at $100 which is about 2X what other fins cost. They are not 2X better. My own homemade Frankenfins are lighter, more powerful, go on and come off easier and have dual durometer for both power and softness. If these fins were available commercially at around $75 they would put a serious dent in FF's bloated profit picture. I'm not knocking them per se, just saying that like Toyota they have been remiss in product development and continue to hawk their wares without making an effort to produce a seriously excellent product.

Ive

9. Fishinbeatsworkin

Fishinbeatsworkin Member

I started off with the cheap $30 Creek Company Lightweight fins which are basically a flat piece of ABS with some foot straps. They work ok but I wanted something to give me better speed kicking across a large lake. I read the reviews & bought a pair of the adjustable Force Fins. I didn't think they performed that much better than the cheap Creek Co. fins so i sold them a couple of months ago & bought a pair of the Flip Fins. Like the poster above said, Flip Fins is out of business but I found a pair on Ebay for about$115 in like new condition. I used them last week. The longer fin does work different than the Force Fins. I haven't quite figured out how to get them to click into place without using my hands & I haven't decided if I like them either. I'm taking them for another run tomorrow. If I'm still not convinced, i may check out the scuba fins. I guess to each his own but I think the market has room for improvement

10. Blue

Blue Active Member

Home Page:
    I have both, FF and Omega's. If you have a smaller foot, the Force fins are great. Bigger foot, not as much blade showing. They are like spoons and great when you need to really dig down. The Scuba fins are longer and softer rubber. It took me a awhile to get use to them after using the FF for several years.
    Scuba require a lot less movement than the FF. I was trying to kick the same as I did in my FF and it was killing my legs.
    So I relaxed and was barely moving my feet, but I was moving pretty good. I also found you can lean back and flutter your feet like a swimmer and you will be moving on the up AND the down stroke.
    Plus, being longer they work very nice on Pontoons where you are sitting more out of the water.
    I won't sell my FF, but I only take them for back ups.

11. PT

PT Physhicist

Yup!

12. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

I was a scuba diver first, so using scuba fins in a float tube and then a pontoon seemed the simple (and cheap) way to go. Often in my 9' Bucs Bronco, I will only use fins for a day of fishing on a lake. When the water is cold, I wear my lightweight stocking-foot waders and put the fins on over the neoprene feet; when warmer, I wear shorts and neoprene wading boots. I do have a pair of caddis fins which I use when I'm pontooning rivers and wearing wading boots. The scuba fins that I have will not go over the wading boots but the caddis fins will. The fins allow me to fish on the move by keeping my orientation and positioning appropriate for casting.

Steve

13. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

I have not tried the force fins, but have been float tubing for over 30 years (can you say insul-dry). I started out with some "swim fins" which were fairly flexible and would fit over my seal dri waders. I have also had scuba fins and the terrible black caddis fins. My best solution has been a pair of the swim type fins (the ones that slip over your whole foot, made in many styles) cut the front and install grommets and laces. The ones I have give me plenty of speed and are comfortable for a whole day.

14. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Ive, can you post a pic or describe your Frankenfins again or PM? I can't believe some Chinese company hasn't produced an inexpensive copy of FF's.

15. generic

generic Active Member