Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Firearms Recommendations?

5K views 55 replies 26 participants last post by  martyg 
#1 ·
I haven't owned a gun in 25 years or so. I'm not a hunter, and never believed that President Obama was coming for guns. But now I'm singing a different tune - I'm not waiting for the Brown Shirts to come to my door.
For that reason (self defense and occasional target shooting) I'm buying a pistol, shotgun and semi-auto long gun. I'm pretty settled on a Sig Sauer P320 RX pistol, but am soliciting opinions/recommendations for all three categories.
FYI: I would consider myself inexperienced, although I have owned a Ruger .357, Charter Arms .38 and an Uzi.

#4 · (Edited)
If you actually think brown shirt nazi types are Coming to your house I would suggest not owning a firearm and seek help

If you're joking get
a ruger 10 22
Rem 870
Ar platform in 223
Glock in 9 or 40

One gun. Just buy the Glock
If you're in a store or online and see ammo reasonably priced buy it

Buy extra high capacity mags because the trend in states like Washington is to ban them

Get a good safe to store your firearms and take hunters safety course and a personal defense course to shoot properly , safe handling practices and know self defense laws in your state. Take your spouse with you if possible

Practice at least 6 times a year

Never leave or store your firearm in your vehicle

Do a ride alongs with local police to understand what is happening in your community

Know how to properly clean maintain and store weapons

#5 ·
If your idea of target shooting is cans at 20ft, get a Glock 17, a Keltec Sub2000 that takes Glock 17 mags, and a Rem 870.
If you want to reach out past a couple hundred yards, get a Rock River Predator Pursuit with a 16" barrel. It will shoot with extreme accuracy way out there and manage zombies if it comes to that. Lots of mags and ammo.
Secure it as mentioned above.

#10 ·
I suggest you head over to a gun range and rent a few guns and figure out what feels good in your hands while shooting. For me, the way the Glock holds in my hand just isn't super comfortable and never has and I shoot one alot in 40 cal.

One alternative to the Glock is a Springfield XD or XDM. These seem to just feel better to me. The discussion on home defense came up the other day at coffee with my buddies and the thought of an AR platform in 300 blackout was seriously tossed around.

#11 ·
If you are inexperienced as you say, I would strongly recommend against Glock, as they have no manual safety. Safeties are much debated, but until you get muscle memory well established on grabbing a gun without automatically slipping your finger into the trigger guard, a safety is the way to go. (Think of it like this: when you grab something, you naturally close your hand around it. Same thing with a gun, and that puts your index finger naturally right into the trigger guard. You need to train your brain and your grip to point your finger rigid and away from the guard until you want it in there.)

Ditto the Mossberg 500, very straightforward and reliable, though the Remington 870 is the most well-established shotgun. I would also ditto the AR in .223 (or 5.56, virtually the same). You have a wide range of makers on this one, my experience is look for the on that has the build you want at the price and go for that.

Back to pistols, I am an established Ruger fan, in semi-auto, so I will tout the SR9-C (or the SR40), and my wife has the SR22. I also have a P94, but I believe those are very hard to find anymore. I chose Ruger for their ambidextrous models, as I'm a lefty, but a lot more manufacturers are supporting that than when I bought the P94 20 years ago.

Sig makes amazing guns, but they just don't fit my hand well, nor do I take to some of the layout of the features. Take Wonky's advice and go to a gun range that rents guns. Wade's in Bellevue and the Marksman on Canyon in Puyallup are two indoor ranges that let you try out different guns. You will want to know how they feel in your hand, and how user-friendly the layout is.

#12 ·
If you can find a gun range that will let you rent handguns, do it. Try a lot of different handguns to find one that fits you and your hand. Make sure the fire controls are easy to reach. Case in point, while looking for a carry gun, my wife fell in love with a Sig P239, a smaller single stack 9mm. I didn't like the price tag and bought a Sig SP2022 for her as a surprise. Surprise, after shooting the gun, she hated it. It didn't feel right in her hands. Sold it at a loss and bought her a Sig P239 like I should have done in the first place. She loves it, shoots it a lot and is very good with it. I'm a 1911 guy, I have them in .45 ACP and 9mm. I carried or trained with 1911s for 24 years, they fit me just fine, I shoot them well and I carry a full size 1911 concealed every day.

As for shotguns, I like the the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 enough that I have one of each. My wife prefers the Mossy, so I get the 870.

AR-15s are great guns, reliable, accurate and so easy to make your own by changing the furniture. You might want to google the difference between 5.56 NATO and .223 Remington though. They are not virtually the same. I have ar-15s and they are all chambered in 5.56 NATO, an AR chambered in .223 Wylde can safely shoot both.

Reread Ribka's post. He makes valid points.

#15 ·
I found the CZ PO-1 to be a fantastic pistol. It has worked flawlessly and is very competitively priced; in the metal gun group. When apart, it reveals the lack of internal finishing you will find and pay for in the Sig's and other top end makes, but that's not important to me. It was tested to meet the requirements for NATO and did so... to me that is proof enough of its reliability. It also happened to be the pistol, of the 10 or so I tested, that fit my hand the best and that I was able to fire most accurately. I echo Randy's post on CZ being underrated. I subsequently purchased a CZ Canvasback OU 12-26 and absolutely love it.

Is your sudden interest in guns because Trump won the presidency? If so, that is a hoot.

Reactions: rapido101
#19 · (Edited)
Underrated, as most CZ's are.
I heartily agree! I own several CZ's - shotguns & a couple 75B 9mm handguns; while 75s are a bit bulky & heavy for CC, they are superbly accurate & reliable shooters and CZ USA does most definitely "stand behind their products" and quite closely at that (they repaired a used CZ I had purchased for nothing more than the shipping cost from me to them.). The Springfield XD series handguns are also uber-reliable, much like Glocks. My daily carry piece has become a Glock 43 - accurate at self defense ranges, reliable, light & eminently concealable & secure in a Bravo Concealment OWB Kydex holster. As stated, try or handle different pieces & find those that FIT you. Then learn how to care for them and practice. "Owning" does not automatically equate to "being able to use proficiently & reliably." Some sound advice has been provided in this thread - good luck in your quest. Remember, there is a huge responsibility inherent to owning & using a firearm.

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks to all for taking the time to make suggestions. There's some great advice there, which I plan to take; I'll also shoot a few pistols to get a feel for the grips. I do remember my .357 mag chewing up my hand, even with Pachmayr grips.
I did find the little bit of political commentary amusing, though. I never questioned anyone's motivation or rights to own any weapon - I just thought the fear that Obama was going to take them away unfounded. And, of course, it was unfounded.
I hope my fear is equally unfounded. But now the political (and cultural?) climate has changed dramatically - and you don't need a Weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

#23 ·
I just thought the fear that Obama was going to take them away unfounded. And, of course, it was unfounded.
There are many ways to "take them away" before getting to that point. Take CA for instance, and their "well on second thought, not-so-grandfathered in rule" concerning high capacity magazines. Also their new law requiring documenting purchase of ammo...wtf!! No, Barry didn't make these state rules, but he also offered no resistance to them... and, you would be hard pressed to convince me this isn't what he an the anti-gun folks at the federal level have in mind. Hillary made it her stated mission in life to kill the NRA and reverse the Heller decision. Had she won the presidency, I would have advised you to spend your hard earned money on a new fly rod.

Indeed, you don't need a weatherman to know that, thankfully, the wind direction has changed... but it doesn't smell that much better to be brutally honest.

#27 ·
I stumbled (literally) into this thread, and am not qualified to give advice. But, I won't let that stop me. About 9 years ago I started researching hand guns. I was always an excellent shot with rifles, small guage stuff, but decided that I should have a hand gun for SD. I was enamored with Sigs, and also with snubbies. I ended up with one of each, a Sig P225 and a S&W 642. I spent some time at the range and without question was a better shot with the Sig. But after a time I realized three things: A) I am not a "gun guy". I want one for all the right reasons, but it's not a hobby with me. B) I am a revolver man. The Autos are fun and a better tactical weapon no doubt, but the tactile process of reloading a revolver was far more pleasurable than loading magazines. I also think my loaded 642 sits in it's cubby for long periods better than a coiled spring. C) I am not near the shot with a snub nose that I am with a rifle. Duh! But good enough for it's purpose. I remember picking up my 642 on the day Obama was inaugurated. Sold the Sig later.
There, 2 scents of worthless knowledge.

#30 ·
I also think my loaded 642 sits in it's cubby for long periods better than a coiled spring.
David you raise an excellent point for those of us who choose to use autos! Storing your mags at maximum capacity will, eventually, weaken the spring. Well said!

and for those who are unsure, the general rule is; revolvers are less effective in a combat situation for two reasons: 1) autos generate less bleed-off of velocity than revolvers due to the gap between the cylinder and barrel in a revolver, and 2) it's much easier-takes less practice, which makes it quicker to change mags than using a speed loader. not that a change-out can't be done, rather a mag simplifies the act somewhat.

#29 ·
I tend to agree with shotgunner. In reality, I don't carry. I like that I can, but haven't in quite awhile. A medium weight revolver, that fits the hand well, with something like a 3" or 4" barrel would be a more enjoyable shoot. A heavyweight (357) wouldn't kick bad with +P, but tougher for CC. It's an endless debate.

#34 ·
I don't use JHPs when carrying the .357. I like Ultamax 125 grain round nose. Like I said in a self defense situation I will likely be within 20 feet of the threat. Also it is unlikely I would be dealing with multiple threats so 7 shots should be plenty but in case I need more I can reload the wheel in 3 to 5 seconds. If in a self defense situation I am also likely to seek and use cover in which case that 3 second time should be sufficient. I doubt there is an off the rack winter coat that is capable of stopping or deflecting a .357, 125 grain round point bullet but I could be wrong.

#35 ·
I love revolvers for open carry.
I have a SW386 7 shot with 6" barrel. Not sure what AM is referring to with velocity loss in a wheelgun. If anything, the absence of blowback means nearly 100% of the energy heading downrange.
In re bullets, I'm a believer in hardcast lead. Buffalo Bore offers a 158gr hardcast 38spl +p Keith bullet that, at 550ftlbs, carries more energy than Cor Bon 40SW loads.
If 7 rounds won't solve your problem, 12 won't.

#42 ·
Not sure what AM is referring to with velocity loss in a wheelgun. If anything, the absence of blowback means nearly 100% of the energy heading downrange..
not true; blowback is defined as gasses escaping in a direction opposite to or different from the usual direction. In the case of revolvers, gasses escape in the gap between the cylinder and the barrel immediately after the bullet passes through that gap. You'll see-especially in Cowboy Action shooting, that you'll not only get escaping gas, but frequently will get spattered by the lead of the bullet shearing off as it enters the barrel. This is especially common for the timers standing close by. I shot CAS for a number of years and never missed getting lead on me.

#36 ·
Glock 9mm, .40 or .45acp
Squeeze at center mass, repeat, repeat until no threat exists, you reload or your first steps were less ideal than theirs. At close range any production round will do the trick. I'll admit to having as many as three different rounds dispersed in a magazine. What may thwart one type of round may have no affect on another round.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.