First 2017 Trout--not A Bad Start

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by LCnSac, Jan 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Didn't weigh it, but it was easily 8 lbs., could have gone 10. Measured about 28" on the pontoon stripping apron ruler.

The picture isn't good, but you can get an idea of the shape. It was a total freak. If the rainbow colors would not have been so apparent, I'd have first thought it was a LMB. The girth was probably around 20". The mouth and jaw were square, and large enough to inhale a small ground squirrel.

Took a Sheeps Creek about 4' below the surface, fished with a CGR 7' 4/5 glass rod which was pretty maxed (that's being generous) by the time I got her to the pontoon. This water is odd because although we're fishing in 12-15' of water in 49-52 deg. temps with a weedy bottom, regardless of the size they don't seem to react to midges or emergers at all, even though we can see them gulping. The only presentation that seems to work is a small selection of streamers, fished with a hover line with an ultra slow troll and hand twist retrieve. I use a 5' hover clear polyleader on a floater; others use an Airflo slow .5 ips intermediate clear line.

The majority of the trout 6 lbs. or better I've caught have been in December - March in varying elevations, water temp right around 50°, all on streamers. Only a couple of them have been good fighters, this not being one of them. Just some good pulls with a lot of weight. .

[​IMG]

2. b_illymac

b_illymac Member Active

What a Donkey!!!

3. flybum101

flybum101 Member

Nice to see a piece of water that isn't covered in ice...

weiliwen likes this.
  4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Your right, it's a shitty picture. It looks like it's got fangs.

5. Chromer

Chromer Defeat terrorism

Looks like a net pen piggy

6. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Oh, absolutely. Nothing wild about this one.

Irafly likes this.
  7. Chromer

Chromer Defeat terrorism

8. pond monkey

pond monkey Active Member

S.C.R?

9. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Nice...ahh...er..."Red Band!":D
    Reminds me of some of the larger ones they've been dumping into our stocker ponds, so that we still have some larger trouts that we can legally target, with diminishing river fishing opportunities. Big lazy slugs. Some really fight hard, rip line off the reel, and jump a lot, though. I have my fun with these in my local lakes!

10. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    It's winter trout fishing, something to do locally if we're not targeting spotted bass. The Delta is mostly blown out, the stripers aren't in the rivers yet, the better lakes are iced over, and I don't do steelies or salmon as a target, though pick some up on occasion. I have another place that's larger and a little more real, stocked also by a local utility, same hatchery stock as this one came from. There's a derby around the first week in March. I fish it after that weekend a few times. Lots of 5# trout that have been there for awhile and do fight. It's also a great bass and bluegill lake too. Both an hour away, easy access, works for me until the season for real fish comes around mid to late March.

Jeff Dodd and Irafly like this.
  11. Matthew Kaphan

Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Let's hear it for the Sheep's Creek. That is my go to fly when fishing any lake.

Have a picture of how you tie yours?

MK

LCnSac likes this.
  12. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    I don't. I buy them for $.99 at Sportsmans Warehouse, and it's just a simple white wing over a chenille body with a small head of red thread. There are much better ties, but these seem to work fine. They just don't last very long. I could probably do about as well as I do now with only a box of Sheep's Creeks, black and olive Wiggletails tied with Jay Fair translucent, prince nymphs, and renegades.

Jeff Dodd likes this.