First carp trip

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Alaskan, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Alaskan

Alaskan New Member

First time carpin, three the first day three the second. The flat went dead the next two times out. You guys that chase them regularly did I put too much pressure on that flat? I fished it four times in four days. It was so fun I had to go back! image.jpg image.jpg

2. Alaskan

Alaskan New Member

This was my best fish. Four were tailing first CSS this one pounced like a red fish. That is a g3 in the pic on a 10 ft 7wt for perspective. image.jpg

triploidjunkie and McNasty like this.
  3. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

I have been told that stressed out carp secrete a pheromone that warns other carp of danger. Fish one area too heavily and they absolutely go off the bite for a few days.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  4. Alaskan

Alaskan New Member

Sounds sexy!

McNasty likes this.
  5. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Smells like crap....er carp!

Joe Goodfellow likes this.
  6. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Three per day is pretty good for a beginner, but it sounds like you've fished for redfish, so.. what fly did you get em to take?

7. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Nicely done! This has been an off year for me so far, but I've fished the same areas day after day before and never saw any evidence of carp leaving. There are tons of carp in the Columbia & none of them are in captive water. However, spook one & that one will take the rest out of your immediate area, but they come back before too long.

8. Alaskan

Alaskan New Member

I made up some flys kind of a bone/red fish slider type with rubber legs. I will add pics of fly when I get home( on road right now). The main food source on my lake is crawfish I am guessing. Although later in the year there are tons of cruising carp in deeper water so they must be eating bugs? Going to try to get them with a small seaducer olive or brown. They worked well for reds cause you can drop em right on the nose and you get good hang time and lots of movement with very little travel of the fly longer in their face. I caught two last year cruising the shore with a zoo cougar.

9. Alaskan

Alaskan New Member

I am near rearden Wa if you want to go some time let me know. I am going to build a couple of fishing SUP's this year cayo style. Should be perfect

10. Jim Ficklin

Thanks; I'll bear that in-mind should I get up Davenport way, but you won't catch me fishing from a SUP (unless you need photos of some old bugger hugging a paddleboard & it's hard for me to cast from that position . . . ).

11. Alaskan

Alaskan New Member

Here are what the carp seem to take. I have caught a bunch more on that flat but can't seem to get more than three per morning !

Attached Files:

Jim Ficklin likes this.
  12. Jim Ficklin

Looks carpy. Carp are opportunists; if it looks like food, they'll eat it. 3 in a morning is better than I've been doing of late & is nothing to be ashamed of. 2 last week, none today in the same area . . . didn't even see any feeding fish or carp period. My usual flats are under 3-4 feet of water this year, so I've had to travel & explore. Didn't even see carp in my regular go-to spots when the mulberries were dropping in the water; it's been a strange year down this way. I fear that the hot weather this week is going to keep them out in the Columbia for a few weeks.