first fly ever

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Kenneth Henderson, May 6, 2009.

1. Kenneth Henderson

Kenneth Henderson not afraid to fly

this was the first fly i ever tied, today 5-6. what do you think of it?

2. Ben Waldschmidt

Ben Waldschmidt Member

Hell of a nice fly, especially being your first! Sure there are a few things that could be improved, but definitely, we'll focus on the fact that it's the first you've tied. Wish my first fly looked half that good

3. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Great fly for your first. The following is only for instructional purposes - your hackle is tied in by the butt at the back resulting in smaller fibers toward the front. Usually when tying woolly buggers/woolly worms tie the hackle in by the tip to reverse the profile.

4. Kenneth Henderson

then how do i tie it off and whip finish it? or do i start with the tip at the rear of the fly and work to the butt of the hackel?

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Hendo, looking good. Like Rob said, tie the tips in at the rear near the bend wehre you want the hackle to originate. Wrap it forward, just like you did and tie it off at the head, just like you did. The tapering affect will be nice. Good looking bug. Keep tying them like that and Brian will be working hard to keep up with you.

Now about that missing SRC report...

6. Kenneth Henderson

thinks for the tips on making my flies better. any other good patterns (colors) that this will work with?

ill get on that report after i clean up the house... to much stuff to talk about it right now.

7. TexBC

TexBC Fly Addict

Pretty damn good for your first fly... mine was some yarn wrapped around a bait hook, held on with glue-stick from my school pencil box. LOL (and I still have the fly!)

The guys are right about wrapping the hackle.

If you want to take that fly to the next level, get some marabou and tie it in as a tail, and you have a wooly bugger (which I prefer to the wooly worm, as the marabou adds natural movement).

Way to go!
    :D
    Tex

8. Kenneth Henderson

ya ill have to go get some marabou and try it out. does it matter if its the same color or how should it be matched for olive and for black?

9. Ed Call

You'll find some basic colors are always favorites, but you will also find followers in many different colors. One I got in a fly swap was a tri color tail and it might be the best bugger I've used. Experiment and have a blast. Some with tails only, others tails and hackle, more with tails hackle and overwing, a bit of flash, bead head, cone head, body weight, weightless, wire ribbed...oh the combinations are endless.

10. riseform

riseform Active Member

It's a very good first fly. My first fly brought fish to the surface but could never hook one to save its life.

I can add a few pointers that took me years to learn and may speed up your learning curve. If you notice, your tail has rotated off the top of the hook to the side when you wound your chenille. Make sure you really bind that tightly to the top of the hook or add a drop of Zap a Gap to secure its location. You may have already done this, but chenille is easier to tie on if you strip away the fibers and tie in the strings to the hook before wrapping. Do the same thing at the end. Watch so you don't leave a gap on the far side of the hook when you first wind the chenille. I like that you didn't crowd the eye of the hook. You can clip those stray hackle fibers for photos in the future and nobody will know. Nice job.

11. Mike Cline

Mike Cline Fly Fishing Guerilla

The hackle method I prefer to use is to tie the butt end of the hackle in behind the eye and then wrap the hackle backwards to the bend Keeping the thread behind the eye of the hook. I then lock in the hackle with a the rib wrapped forward and tie down the rib in front and build the head.

12. Kenneth Henderson

i like that. ill try to tie the hackel in forward the come back with a wire rib.then tie that down at the eye. any one know of any pretty easy flies that i could whip up to add to a good trout collection? if you could post a picture too ( i like to have something to reference to). thanks again for all the positive feed back

13. Ed Call

If you have long hackles consider tying in at the front, wrap to the rear and then counterwrap it back forward. Norm Norlander uses this method on his rotary Nor-vise and I've tried it. The fly does not tend to spin so much and twist and kink leaders. There are many videos on youtube about tying on the nor-vise that might be fun and informative.

14. Kenneth Henderson

if i were to tie marabou as the tail how far should it stick out? i have dark and light colors of marabou.

15. Mike Cline

Mike Cline Fly Fishing Guerilla

A good rule of thumb is to tie the tail as long as the hook shank. But you will find yourself adjusting this for certain fisheries and fish. A long tail can give you some short strikes but a longer tail also has more movement.