First Sculpin

Thomas Williams

Habitual Line Stepper
Stopped by Puget Sound Fly Co today to pick up supplies. Wanted to tie up some sculpins to throw on my spey rod for trout. This is the first baitfish I have ever tied. I am very pleased with the results. I think the hardest part is palmering the head and getting a good shape. Any advice? Improvements? Here it is.....

uploadfromtaptalk1371514025493.jpg

Jeff Dodd

Thomas
Looks good!

I need to spend time selecting and learning a sculpin pattern other than Muddler. This will be for the salt in my case.

I have heard of a pattern called Rusty Sculpin that a friend picked up at Puget Sound fly I think. I am interested in seeing what it looks like.

Is the fly above a copy of a pattern you purchased? If so, what is the name?

Thanks Thomas

Thomas Williams

Habitual Line Stepper
Jeff, This is my own creation I just picked out the colors that I thought would be effective and ran with it. I had to do some research on palmering and putting rabbit into dubbing loops but other than that just a bit of brainstorming at the vice and bam...sculpin. I don't have a name for him but maybe I should come up with one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Hi Thomas,
Nice tie. I would have one suggestion. Sculpins, in my experience, are not two-toned. I saw one yesterday sitting underwater on a rock shelf on the Cowlitz that was a shade more orange than the brown head on your fly. In other lakes and rivers, they can be more black/gray or even olive. But generally, the head and the body are not contrasting colors. That isn't to say that your pattern won't catch fish; it probably will.
Steve

Big E

Looks good for a baitfish. Might want to try tying in a couple feathers or something right behind the eyes to give it a wider profile of a sculpin.

Get it wet and see how it looks then.

Thomas Williams

Habitual Line Stepper
Steve, I know that sculpins aren't two toned. The colors are more of just an attraction. I will tie some more realistic patterns as well. What species feather would you recommend Eric? I considered it. I thought about using a grizz hackle for a long tail as well.

Big E

Perhaps pheasant saddle feathers.

For a long skinny tail you could also tie in a rabbit strip matuka style. If you do this, you'll want to put in a mono loop off the back underneath so that it prevents some fouling.

Big E

Yep...strong mono...like 35 lb. Long enough to prop the rabbit strip, like 1/3 the length.

Or...you could invert the hook and punch it through the hide. Tie it so it rides inverted.