First Steelhead on Spey

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by DLoop, Jan 2, 2004.

1. DLoop

DLoop Creating memories one cast at a time

2. Philster

Philster Active Member

I could catch a fish like that if I wanted to... Could too! :bawling

3. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

:beer2 :thumb

4. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Home Page:
    :beer2 :beer2 :beer2 :thumb :thumb :thumb

~Patrick ><>

5. headstrong1

headstrong1 youngish old guy

Home Page:
    Congrats, great photo too!

6. ibn

ibn Moderator

Home Page:
    Nice fish! Congrats.

7. Jay Allyn

Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

A :beer2 to many more to come!:thumb

8. Merle

Merle Not New, Just rarely post...

Right on. Good job. I've been chasing 'em all week on a local river starting with an "S" also... but without the success you had.

What was the fly, if you don't mind sharing?

:beer2

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I don't get it you asked for the fly but you won't tell where you have been getting beat up at. There's lots of rivers around here that start with "S" . There are also a few that start with "P". Sorry to be so so, but ask for one thing but not tell another I don't get it.

Jim

10. BK

BK Guest

SUPER DLOOP!

Way to go my man! Congrats on the winter steel. Kinda helps to forget all the casts before doesn't it? Old man, aren't you the Jacka$$ with the "secret spot with various patterns" guy? Don't harsh this dude for hooking up and not spelling out where he went when you wouldn't even give details on a trip where YOU got SKUNKED! Beautiful pic, thanks for sharing! Anytime you wanna hit the SW rivers hit my message. Ben K.:thumb :dunno :thumb :thumb :thumb Never give up anything on this board, even if its a negative report. Turnabout is FAIRPLAY!

11. DLoop

DLoop Creating memories one cast at a time

>Right on. Good job. I've been chasing 'em all week
    >on a local river starting with an "S" also... but
    >without the success you had.
    >
    >What was the fly, if you don't mind sharing?
    >

Thanks everyone. The fly was a very simple egg pattern. Nothing fancy. I tried all the fancy ones for the past year with no luck. :)

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

SUPER DLOOP!

You must have me mixed up with some other a$$ whole as I always give out where I go with all rivers told. I don't have any secrets or zipper lip places except for you. I do agree with you all it's a nice hatchery fish.

One old man not telling.

Jim

13. BK

BK Guest

SUPER DLOOP!

Going to the old "hatchery-brat" routine eh, old timer? OK: Beeyatch. Then how many natives/hatchery run steelhead did you hook today? 0! I thought so! Sour grapes make horrible wine Jim. I took two on a river that begins with "-" today. I used a variety of flies and presenatiations (BS, I was swinging purple flies) to induce my fish today, Big Ben. Jim: You are a straight-up LIAR! You don't give up patterns or water bitch. You also tell guys like: www.worldanglr.com to back away from themselves and be losers like your sorry a$$. Sorry Old Lamb, but if getting old means turning into someone like you; then I'll go out with "My boots on." Skynard. WTF do you think you're doing askin' someone where they got skunked fool? Are you really this desperate now?

14. Merle

Merle Not New, Just rarely post...

Jim,

I'm new to this board, so I'm not sure what level of information is freely exchanged. As far as not divulging the exact name of the river, I just thought it would be appropriate to follow DLoop's lead.

That being said, I think there's a difference between mentioning the name of a body of water, and mentioning the pattern used. If someone makes an announcement that they had success on a certain body of water, it could contribute to that piece of water getting additional undue pressure. That's why some people play their cards close to the vest when it comes to naming locations on these forums.

However, I think it's fairly safe to mention the pattern used, unless it's some super secret pattern that nobody knows about. The only risk is that more people might start using that same pattern at the places they're fishing already.

If I tell you I caught two fish on #1/0 Winter's Hopes with marabou wings veiled in pearl angel hair in lieu of standard hackle tips, it's not going to make my local home waters more crowded.

If I tell you I caught two fish on river XYZ... it might.

:)

Merle

15. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

SUPER DLOOP!

BK - did you have a little too much coffee today or what?? :eek

Back off from the Old Man. He may be gruff and even a little grumpy at times - but he shares plenty on this site and is really a good guy if you ever have the chance to meet him. :beer2

Anyway, I'm sure if you don't step up and tone down your own post, our trusty mods will be along to clean this up shortly.

Mods - feel free to drop my post as well...

BTW - who WASN'T fishing the snoqualmie today. Holy cow - couldn't believe the crowds. I'll be bringing my own rock tomorrow... :smokin