First trip to central Oregon

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by DennisE, Sep 24, 2013.

1. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

The fish gods smiled! Four 10 inchers and last one was a fat 13 incher! Of course it took 4.5 hours to get there.
    The refusals were almost as exiting as the actual takes. With the milky water (normal condition) the fish looked like little dark submarines as they'd come up to the surface to look at the fly. Very neat!

2. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

Thanks for your report.

Did you try the Metolius? It is a spring creek with very snobby fish. I have fished it a few times with very limited success, but it is a beautiful river that forces you to up your game. Cold, crystal clear water - heavily fished, the fish have seen it all.

3. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

Didn't make it to the Metolius. Too much time spent completing the Bend Ale Trail (12 tasting rooms or brewpubs in 7 days). We did make a stop on the McKenzie on our way to the coast. My wife managed to hook one 6-8 inch fish on gear with LDR while I managed 2 steelhead. Of course, mine were only 3" smolts. :rolleyes:
    Stopped in Eugene briefly for dinner and at Ninkasi and Oakshire and then headed to Seaside.
    I'm strongly considering fishing the Necanicum River on Friday. Looked at it yesterday and it was running clear but pretty fast & high at the park just south of town. I'll take another look at it this afternoon and see if a little over a day of drier weather has brought it into more wadeable shape.

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

If you rely only on dry flies, you will have a difficult time -- unless you hike far into the gorge area and away from the beaten path. I learned how to nymph fish with a dropper system and a dead-drift on The Met. If you can master the technique, you will catch a lot of fish no matter where you are on the river.

Most folks are dry fly or die so they don't do all that well. For me, it is a nymph river.