Fish Finders...What do you use or want!

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Archfisher, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Archfisher

Archfisher Member

Hello... thought I would put this out there since we’re in the slow season and I really can’t find much newer info on this subject.
    So I’m looking at getting some kind of product that can give me depth, temp, and show structures in lakes in WA and be portable from a tube to a pontoon to a small boat(14ft). Is there anything out there like that is new or old that is readily obtainable? I have reached out to a few members and received some great info but looking for more. I am new to fish finders so any info would be great. I see some different items like IBobber, hand held depth finders, etc but I have zero experience with any of them.
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Dusty

2. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

I have two Fishin Buddies and they are OK for depth finding, but that's about it...I rarely use them any more. Now I just cast out and find depths on my own with full sink lines. You know when you're on the bottom. :D

Less gear, more beer.

3. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

I'm sent you a PM on a link I found for a used unit, I'd be cautious with this Fishin Buddy II as it appears to be as old as me. But if it works and you can get the guy who is selling it to understand it is old ..... good luck

4. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

I picked up a Fishin Buddy 120 the last year they were produced and have several seasons on it. After going years without a fish finder I feel naked without one. I use a strap mount on my inflatables and screw on mount for my pram. I rarely pay attention to marked fish but the information on depth, bottom contours, weed beds, drop offs, and temp are quite useful!

kmac, Irafly, GAT and 3 others like this.
  5. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

With the information you like, Rod, either of the two new Humminbird units would be beneficial. I find the side scan useful, which of course, many of us have complained that the new Humminbird units do not have.

Irafly and troutpocket like this.
  6. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I also have a FB 120 and am not sure what I'll do when it finally dies. The powers that be at Humminbird made a huge mistake when they removed the side scan from the portable sonar unit. Like everyone else, I primarily use the device for mapping the bottom and sides of stillwater... however, the fish icons are useful in letting you know at what depth the fish are holding. Thus, I can start with a sinking line that matches the holding depth instead of using trial and error. And I do sometimes catch the fish the unit marks.

So, for fishing new stillwaters I find the sonar unit extremely useful.

Irafly likes this.
  7. flyrig

flyrig Member

Gene I have the same pontoon as you do. Do you use the hummingbird holder or have you figured out a different way to attach the FB to your tube?

8. Squamishpoacher

Squamishpoacher Active Member

I have a 120 and a new Max. Like others indicate, great for finding bottom but not reliable to show fish. Also I fish a pontoon and I had to take the mounting cone to a seamstress. She added a foot to the belt length and tacked the cone top and bottom to the belt. Prior to that the unit was always canted out an angle which did not give accurate depth.

9. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

120, I have 2. One is a back up in case mine or troutpockets fails. As he said, I feel naked without mine now, even on lakes I know well.

110 would work, but it lacks the side scan which I do use with success.

Richard E and GAT like this.
  10. Old trout

Old trout Member

I too have the 120. It's great for temperature, depth, and bottom contours. And when your brother swamps the pram, it floats!!

Old406Kid likes this.
  11. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

At first, when the FB first came out, I made my own holder with a PVC pipe cut to length and then attached old wader straps to go around the tube. It actually works quite well because it is rigid.

When Cabela's started selling a holder that looked hell of a lot better than my DIY job, I bought one of those and use it to this day. However, I'm a big fan of Velcro and used a piece on the holder and corresponding piece that I attached to the tube. This helps keep the holder from shifting around.

This is it on the SuperCat:

IMG_0009.jpg

I have no idea if Cabela's still sells the rigid style but it works much, much better than the soft side "holster".

Irafly likes this.
  12. flyrig

flyrig Member

Awesome, one of my buddies has a Cabela's holder that he said didn't work for him and has tried to give to me a couple of times guess I will take him up on his offer. Thanks for the great picture Gene! Aren't the super cats a great platform. Got mine from Keith at the Valley Fly Fisher awhile back.

GAT likes this.
  13. TheNautiCoug

TheNautiCoug New Member

I have a deeper pro and it is really good at mapping structure and weed depth. As for locating fish, i think its hit and miss. I have used it half a dozen or so times and it has marked fish successfully a couple of times (I think). I have mostly used it to map the lake i'm fishing (Blackmans) and it provides very accurate detail of weed beds and drop off points. Last two times I have trolled Blackmans it marked a fish around 14ft down in 18-20 ft of water and sure enough my deep 6 line went off with a fish on. It does however burn through battery on my iPhone and it goes down fairly quickly on the finder itself. For the money its pretty handy and mounting it to the boat with a clamp accessory was pretty simple and the ability to take it with me pretty much anywhere I go is a great option. Another perk is whatever you map it stores in history, so if you dont bring it every time you can still see the structure of whatever body of water you have mapped to reference.

Bucktrout likes this.
  14. Archfisher

Archfisher Member

Thanks for some good info here.
    Question for those you know...is there any advantage or disadvantage to having a portable unit like iBobber or Deeper Pro compared to telescopic finder like the fish buddies? Seems like the portable ones are more convenient and have gps. Are they lacking something the the fishing buddy has!

15. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

A cult following.;)