Fish of the year, so far...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jim Speaker, Oct 7, 2013.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Phones are for communication. Cameras are for photography. The combination of the two makes for a poor phone and camera. :D

Nice fish indeed! I too have noticed that blood worms are usually bright red -- an unfortunate color if you're attempting to hide from trout :)

2. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    I just meant that the orientation of the photos looks correct on a browser on my phone, but sideways in a browser on a PC.

Yes, they don't call em blood worms for nothing! They are a little brighter than I could imitate but the above is pretty damn close. My mini San Juan took this fish - vernille's a little fat, but the length was correct.

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I was fishing my favorite creek this spring and I had a bright red blood worm in my box so I decided to give it a try. Hardest hit and the fly was gone. I was using 5x tippet. I don't have any of those flies left as it was a one of a kind that I tied up.

Maybe I'll dig out my vise and try to do some woven flies. That was what I fished with on that hit. Now if I can remember how to tie some up.

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The "secret" fly pattern folks use during the early Spring on The McKenzie is a blood worm. The theory is that the high water of the winter eats away at the river banks and earth worms are more available to the trout. As no one wants to tie a fly that looks like a genuine earth worm, fly anglers use SJ worm patterns instead.

I've never tried it but when fishing from a drift boat, I guess they work.

Of course, in a lake, the "worms" will eventually become flying midges... how blood worms end up in the surface film is a mystery.

But whatever works... There's no "always" in flyfishing.

5. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    I don't fish bait often, but when I do, I catch big fish. :D

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

What's bait.

7. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    A San Juan worm ;)

8. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

They migrate at certain times of the year, and they can also be washed out of the mud in high winds if they have cased up in shallow water. Fall is a typical time for this to happen. From there, they can find themselves in the surface film. They will also ball up at times. Blood worms/san juan worms fished in rivers will mimic actual blood worms/worms/and for that matter food. Fish will eat anything if it looks like food regardless if it matches a hatch.

9. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    There was only a very mild breeze, the water was flat. They were, by the way, emerging. There were shucks I saw that matched their size, and my buddy watched an emergence happen. First I've ever seen them in the film, much less a high enough number that fish were selective. Glad I figured it out.

10. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

If they truly were emerging then what you were seeing were red pupa not larva. The midge/chironomid goes through a complete metamorphosis of egg than larva (blood worm), pupa (chironomid) and then adult.

11. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    Pupation and full metamorphosis is a thing I get, re midges and Caddis etc. I'm just saying, this was the first I'd seen them in the film. Yes, they were pupa, they were about 1" (I have a photo of one on my finger, but it may give away where), and they truly were emerging.

12. prestonco

prestonco New Member

Great fish, congrats!!!

13. tonemike

tonemike fish'n glass

Great fish! Thanks for including the fly pic. Always live to see flies!

14. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Jim nice fish. You deserve it after your struggles this year. Keep up the good work

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I have a cell phone. All it does is make calls and then I answer it when it rings. It doesn't take pictures, I can't browse the web, I don't care to. It's just a dumb phone and I'm happy with it. It's cheap to.