Fish Whispering fly fishing show coming to WA

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by james.jimenez, Jul 23, 2014.

1. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

Just saw that one of my favorite Fly Fishing TV shows is heading to Washington in the couple of weeks. Zac Sexton the guy who runs the show is a pretty cool dude. In an exchange of both emails and Facebook messages he has helped me keep up with the show while I am stationed here in Korea. He really has gone out of his way to keep me watching the TV show.

He was looking for someone who is familure with the Olympic Penisula area or the Cascades Area in order to film his show. Not sure if he has found anyone yet but might be a great opportunity to get some TV face time. Maybe become famous.

If by chance you happen to see Zac on the water, or his dog, tell him I said what's up.

Any guide recommendations i can pass along?

2. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

no flyfisherman worth anything wants to become famous. only salesmen want to become famous.

that said i have got the perfect place for him to go but I ain't selling it to him :) ... nice guy though net him a couple years ago..

Olive bugger likes this.
  3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

His show is pretty corny... but he has two dogs so that is a huge plus.

No matter how amateur and corny the show... I still watch it so there must be some appeal. Most likely because it's more like actual fly fishing than an expensive production where the host always catches giant fish.

I'll try to find the episodes that he shoots in Washington.... the hardest part of watching the show is finding it during the week.

Tacoma Red likes this.
  4. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

He does fish with a bamboo rod so that should get some points.:cool:

5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

He also fishes with fiberglass.

I do wish he wore a proper fishing vest instead of using a man purse.... :)

Steve Unwin likes this.
  6. underachiever

underachiever members only

The show is way corny, but I don't hold it against him because he just seems like a guy who likes to fly fish. He seems to have a respect for the fish, and like you mentioned, he's not about trying to look like a bad ass while some crap soundtrack blares in the background. I've only seen the show a handful of times but it seems like it's a pretty good approximation of what a day of fishing might be like. Walk around cast a whole bunch, maybe catch a few fish.

I imagine if I tried to verbalize all the aspects of fly fishing I appreciate I'd come off corny as well.

7. james.jimenez

He also does this thing called a "CuttieThon" which is an event that raises funds that go to Cutthroat trout research and restoration projects, as well as research to find a cure for diabetes.

http://cuttiethon.org

Here is a link to the episode he sent me...

Thanks for posting guys.. I would like to try and get this show a little more play time on the TV, help it gain more popularity.

Greg Price and Jeff Dodd like this.
  8. dogsnfish

dogsnfish Active Member

What channel is it on?

9. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I'm with Comcast. The series is on CSN and for HD, in my part of the country, that is channel 737.

He does kind'a ramble on and on about this and that but that's okay... at least it isn't scripted. Sometimes he falls down while making his way to the water or along the river and he does hook vegetation on a back cast from time to time so it is genuine non-edited clips and actual flyfishing... not a Hollywood version.

"A River Runs Through It" it ain't.

(sometimes I do worry about him hooking one of his dogs on a back cast because they are not exactly little dogs)

10. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    It might be better for the Olympic Peninsula at this point if he were to leave his rod at home, and take a walk up the Elwha River with some of the restoration crews, and cover the story of the dam removal process, and how the wild fish are coming back there. And there are numerous other restoration projects out here, through the state, the tribes, and federal government, that are recovering wild fish and their habitats. Look up www.nosc.org for some examples. I don't think that promoting fishing here with a television show, no matter how well intended, is the best step for the conservation of our few remaining wild fish resources here today. I have no doubt that some fly shops or guides will leap at this opportunity to beat their drums for pumping the hell out of fishing here though. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

11. james.jimenez

Have you seen an episode of his show? I don't think he is about "pumping the hell out of fish".

12. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

HIs shows are the most conservation minded of any fishing shows I've watched.

He has high reverence for the trout and their habitat. Conservation and reconstruction of rivers and fisheries man has destroyed is one of the subjects he rambles on and on about.

13. Bob Triggs

Home Page:

Yes I have seen the show. And I like his style. But television is about gaining maximum viewers. Television shows that feature specific waters and fisheries have a way of over selling and over pressuring some of those resources. That's the outcome. This is not an accusation of your friend, just an observation.

Olive bugger likes this.
  14. Matt B

Matt B ...

I've seen his show. He's a fisherman. He can go to pretty much any river or stream in the Cascades (likely the Olympics too) in the next month and catch trout, probably lots, with his skills. The fishing is "on." If he's steelheading then he's just in the same boat with everyone else.

Maybe that's not what you're looking for? It's not quite clear.

15. Bob Triggs

Home Page:
    In keeping with the show's strong conservation message, perhaps he can use that same broad viewer opportunity to tell the unique story of how some fish runs were lost here, and how some of them are being recovered, and what ordinary people can accomplish to make these things happen. I am not trying to discourage him from coming here. I am just saying that he could shift his focus and do a great service by educating people that wild fish are worthy of a higher standard of behavior. That would be a win-win for all concerned.

1morecast likes this.