Fishing Alaska on budget

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by gbhstrat, Mar 20, 2002.

1. DCL

DCL New Member

I am planning a trip to Alaska, how do I contact you to discuss. thanks in advance for the help. We are looking to go in September for 10 days, renting a RV and looking to max out at 2K

2. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Good luck, poster's last was 10 years ago.

3. rwbailey05

rwbailey05 GO COUGS

Two summers ago I was in Anchorage coaching basketball for 4 weeks. At the end i had a week left before i flew back to seattle. Spent my time fishing out of an RV all around Anchorage, found the best success by stopping and talking with some local fly shops. When i explained my situation they were more then helpful in guiding me to some fish. Even had one owner come out with me for an afternoon and get me into some amazing Rainbows!

Put Montana Creek on your list, easy camping and great Rainbow fishing. Clancy was not exaggerating when he mentioned big rainbows!

4. Josh Stroud

Josh Stroud Active Member

You can actually get a guide on the Kenai for a decent price. I would suggest doing this for at least one of the days why you are there. You can fish from the banks but will have much more success from a drift boat. There are also great streams just north of Anchorage that can be easily accessible, just be sure the check the USGS as some of these river can get blown out quickly with the AK summer weather.

5. gator7354

gator7354 Member

You have gotten a ton of good advice from several of the above posts.
    I have fished in Alaska 5 or 6 times and try to spend 10 to 12 days when I go. About half those days I do it on my own to cut costs. When I go, I try to be there at least the 1st week or so in September and spend it on the Kenai Peninsula. At that time you have a chance to have very good fishing for rainbows, and dollys. If you get some rain or snow you will get fresh silvers entering the rivers daily, kings are done by then and the pinks on the odd years pretty much suck after they hit fresh water in a day or so. There are 4 rivers besides the Kenai and Russian I have fished and done well on at times, and it would be worth it to spend at least a little time on, they are Deep Creek, the Ninilchik and Anchor Rivers for silvers with the right water conditions, Quartz Creek has always fished well for me for dollies.
    The best day I ever had fishing in Alaska was fishing was with Billy Coulliette at Trout-Fitters in Cooper Landing, we fished the Kenai below Skilak Lake the 1st week in September, I've guided for 12 years in Wyoming and New Mexico and Billy is the best guide/fisherman I've ever been on the water with, great teacher as well. He's the kind of guide I would like to be. I would fish with Dusty at Trout-Fitters she is a very good fisherman/guide as well, and a good person to spend a day on the water with.
    Understand salmon runs very from year to year, so most of my trips have been centered around rainbows and dollys, I look at salmon as somewhat of a bonus. I also would read the book Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska by Scott Haugen, over all its a pretty good book, at least the parts on the Kenai Peninsula and Kodiak Island that I know.
    If I can help you in anyway shoot me and email with a phone number by the middle of April. From late April to late September I'm on a 593000 acre ranch in NM with no internet, and cell service that works on about 100 acres.
    Good luck with your trip
    Gator

6. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I wonder if 20 years from now this thread'll get dug up again and never miss a beat. The Internet trips me out sometimes man.

7. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

11 years seems like a long time. It's weird to think about someone reading this stuff far in the future, or that a record of my internet time-wasting is still going to exist.

As far as Alaska, I would recommend picking up a copy of The Highway Angler: http://www.amazon.com/The-Highway-Angler-Fishing-Edition/dp/1578333660

8. Flyfishing Dad

Flyfishing Dad displaced Alaskan

It has been a few years since I lived up there, so I don't know how built up the area has become. On the Kenai though don't overlook the Russian River drainage and the upper lakes, and toward Denali and the Park there was good fishing on Troublesome Creek back in the day. Chum, Silvers, Reds and plenty of native trout and grayling. My best producing patterns were all streamers, particularly the bi- and tri-colored "coho" synthetic fur or fishair flies. Good luck.