Fishing and firearms

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kent Lufkin, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Thanks for the wake-up call. I'll be sure to stop by the station on my way to work tomorrow. Something tells me those of us who carry aren't the ones with paranoia issues...

2. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

I bet if we had a shoot out with some other website, we'd win, considering all the guns and ammo talked about.
    Me, I love guns. I love everything about them, the engineering, the precision, the deadliness, and the beauty.
    Yes, beauty is in the eye of of the beholder and to these eyes guns are beautiful. Always felt that way ever since I was a small boy
    And yes, I do pack. I have a .380 automatic that is about the size of a package of cigarettes. It's famous as a police back up gun, the one they wear in a holster strapped to their leg.
    It's small but very authoritative when needed. I would never shoot anybody unless I met the full definition of the law for justifiable homicide, e.g. I was placed in fear of my life, and I defended myself with reasonable force. I don't expect this will ever happen.
    But I like to think that I am in control of things and so I have guns.
    I have a real hogleg, a stainless steel, Ruger, .44 Magnum, single action revolver. Damn do I love that gun!
    Accurate as well. Whereas the .380 is really a belly gun, the big maggie is very dangerous out to about a hundred yards. And she's beautiful. I don't go to church, but if I did, she would be my gun of choice to wear.
    I never pack it. Too big for that. But with its holster and belt all full of bullets, I see the Old West and I'm thrilled to be part of that tradition.
    My Browning 3 1/2 inch, 12 gauge Gold Metal Automatic Shotgun rounds out my arsenal. Wish I had more.
    Bob, the Lover of Guns And Not Ashamed Of It. (No, I don't belong to the NRA or vote like they do).:smokin

3. Randall Bryett

Randall Bryett New Member

Home Page:
  4. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Hey! That's me.
    Bob, the It Looks Like My Maggie.

5. Randall Bryett

Randall Bryett New Member

Home Page:
    Yep 44 ..A must have tool when it comes to counseling wayward animals and individuals.

"May your chooks turn into emus and kick your dunny door down"

6. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

OK. Serious now. I'm considering a sidearm. Although I grew up shooting guns I never had an affinity for handguns- in fact I hate how easy they are to get. Handguns kill people accidentally, often. I've spent much time in the woods including weeks on end in AK griz country. I'm not concerned about black bears or cougars, at least enough to take the risk of packing (which is much more dangerous statistically than any animal would be). That said, I'm not afraid to protect myself. And the rural Washington I have seen is bad news. I feel sorry for the culture that has no pride, blames everyone else, deface their property with burned out cars, poaches as a right of passage, and live out a spiteful life. WA is back asswards- no doubt about it. For me, I need to take the reality of this place into account. Would I carry in Montana? no. In most any state? no. In meth crazy, and ghetto pride WA? yes. I hate to say it. So I am considering it. What to do? I must admit- my encounters with the silly tar heels have been all bluff and no bite. I think they detect no fear, like any scavenger, and run away most often. I fear the extra confidence of a sidearm would lead me into trouble, since I have no patience for those ghetto poaching no brains. What to do, what to do.... (the culture is dying, they have no work, no future, but what to do in the mean time? In ten years, they will be gone, as will the lonesome rivers.)

A fishing buddy of mine served as Marine in Vietnam, and he's not packing even though he explores deep into cougar/bear country. I trust his experience and perspective. Plus I don't want the hassle of thinking about a gun on my ankle or whatever. Until I hear abou a documnted attack in the areas I fish, I'm going clean. Yet, I am thinking about it...

PS: anyone had a run in with the wild dogs on the sauk/skagit?

PPS Skycries- Nothing says "dipshit" like an out of control Rottie or Pit Bull. Would love to pop one into the white trash owner instead of the poor worthless breed. Seen too many of those wannabes trying to get tough buying a crap breed of dog to drive around in the H2. YO! MTV ain't watching you, dork. Figure it out and get a real dog.

7. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast la flama blanca

I've had a concealed weapons permit since I turned 21. Since then I've had a few different sidearms and currently carry a Glock 19 99% of the time, fishing or not. I see a lot of dirtbags at work. The world is not all pretty flowers and sunshine.

8. worldanglr

worldanglr Member

Home Page:
    I grew up around guns, my father being a hardcore hunter, and while I own a few rifles and shotguns, I've never owned a handgun. Lately, I've been seriously considering it.

It cracks me up when someone say that people who carry a gun for personal protection are paranoid. Obviously you've never had a gun pulled on you, never been jumped by 12 guys, slept in LA airport for three days, been stabbed at a party and rolled in a ditch, or walked across a meth lab in the bush. Yeah, I've found myself in a few hairy situations in my life, and frankly, the 4" blade I carry won't get my out of most of them.

There are too many break-ins, too many crack heads, tweakers, meth labs, and morons in this state. Frankly, it scares me. I've always said it's not the animals in the bush that scare me, it's the people, and I'll stick by that.

That being said, if you're going to carry a gun, be responsible with it. Don't brandish it or show it off, don't wear it on the outside of your waders like you're a cowboy, or you're just inviting trouble. Mostly, as was said before, never draw your weapon unless you are going to use it, unless you know how to shoot the damn thing, and never point it at something living unless you plan on killing it.

So am I going to start carrying a handgun? Probably. If I do, you'll never know it. Hell, it's either that or move back to New Zealand where they don't have handguns ;)

worldanglr
    http://www.worldanglr.com/
    http://www.patagonia-expedition.org/

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

- Henry David Thoreau

9. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Home Page:
    guns dont kill people.....people kill people

~Patrick ><>

10. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Home Page:
    I actually called Idaho State patrol and spoke to them along with the forest service about this issue Peter. If you have a valid CPL (concealed pistol license) or otherwise known as concealed weapons permit, issued by the state of Washington, they will honor it. They did say that it depends on the law enforcement officer at hand wether or not you will get checked and called in for verification???

Im not sure about Montana but I will check today since I do alot of fishing over there.

~Patrick ><>

11. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Home Page:
    Everywhere I go!!

I have a Colt pocketlite mustang 380 that I carry no matter where im fishing. It fits in the palm of my hand yet still packs a loud punch. It is hidden but very easily accessed within a split second. It only packs 9 with a plus 2 clip, 7 with its standard clip....but if you need more than a few rounds you might as well throw the gun at the target. No im not paranoid...I would like to think about it as "prepared". This is another one of those "personal preferrences and no one should be knocked for theirs" topics....

~Patrick ><>

12. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Montana honors Washington CWP's as well. A good resource for out of state laws is www.packing.org

13. wet line

wet line New Member

Yes I am just kidding! I in fact have children, 28 year old twins and a grandfather once and another grand child coming in spring.

Children are the hopes and dreams of the future!

At times people take things way to serious so I throw out an off the wall statement to see the response!

14. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Everywhere I go!!

RiverFishing

Interesting (and some amusing) posts from all - very thought provoking.
    After dropping my forceps in the water yesterday (you know, deep enough that you get soaked all the way to your shoulder retrieving it) I'm wondering how long it would be until I dropped a gun into the water...LOL.
    Seriously, I have to agree with Patrick's conclusion - this is one of those very personal issues and I can't make judgments about others' choices.
    Good posts, guys. I love it when I have those "Hmmmm..." moments. But not as much as fishing. ;-)

Mike, the temporarily unemployed west-side transplant

15. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Home Page:
    Everywhere I go!!

Heres a funny along those lines of dropping in the water. I was out in the middle of the river and slipped a little then heard a splash. Checked all my gadgets and everything was still there....until I got back to the truck and noticed I was carrying a gun that at that point no longer had a clip...glad I didnt need it.

~Patrick ><>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.