Fishing and firearms

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kent Lufkin, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ncitrez

ncitrez Too many hobbies.....

Boy, talk about a "loaded" question.... ;-) ;-) (pun intended) Sorry, couldn't resist.

I personally own several weapons because I hunt. I finally purchased my first handgun last year - a Beretta 96FS (.40 S&W). My reason for purchase was primarily home defense and recreational shooting. I do not have a CWP, and I don't carry my pistol while fishing. However, I'm seriously considering getting a CWP so that I have to option to carry my weapon. I also know several people who frequently participate in "combat fishing" on local rivers who have CWPs and pack a weapon while fishing. (we're talking gear fishing at Blue Creek on the Cowlitz here)

This is definitely a "personal preference" issue - everyone's going to have their own opinion. Having lived in Washington my entire life, I have to agree with some of the statements regarding the "locals" around here you sometimes encounter on the water. ANYTHING can happen around here, as evidenced by Chris's post above. If you have a CWP and you want to carry your weapon, have at it. You can fish with me anytime, as long as you let me know you're packing, you exercise common sense and display good gun safety skills, and you're more interested in catching fish on the fly than showing off your new pistol. :beer2

2. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

3. topflight121

topflight121 Josh Pearson

I carry a P94 .40 S&W. It really depends on where I am going if i bring it or not. Never know when you are going to need it. Haven't run into any problems with bears or the like in Washington, but saw too many last time in Alaska.

josh

4. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

I do not carry a gun at this time but I always carry a Buck Knife with a 5" blade. I carry this for cutting lose from straps on my wadders or pack in an emergency as much as for protection. I have been thinking about getting a small light wt side arm for when I am in certain areas but I have not given it high priority as of yet.
    I do what to point out that all guns should be in a gun safe at when at home to both keep children from getting ahold of them by accident and to help keep guns out of crimanals hands. Way to many guns used in murders etc first were taken from legal gun owners. All of us have the legal right to own guns I feel but we also have the legal responsiblity to keep the guns out of the hands of children and crooks. Also never drink if you are packing a firearm and never drink while hunting. I hate being mistaken as a deer by some dam drunk hunter, yes it has happend and it gives a bad name to those who hunt. This makes for danger in the woods as well as giving ammo to the anti huntting groups out there.
    I have enjoyed seeing what guns some of you do pack out there in the field. It gives me some ideas of what to buy when I am ready. Most of my hand gun experince to date has been with either a 38 Police Special or a 22 Marksman Browning. That Browning was one accurate gun and easy to shoot but big for just being a 22. My knowledge of other types of hand guns is some what limited. When I finally do break down to buy a handgun I plan to spend alot of time at the shooting range with it before I ever take it with me into the woods. I hope all of you did the same.

5. Guy van Rooyen

Guy van Rooyen Member

I bumped into a few rangers hiking around the Alpine Wilderness and never saw any evidence of them packing - unless they have them buried in their pack, which would kind of defeat the purpose of carrying the weapon in the first place with WA being such a dangerous place and all.

6. Rxfisher

Rxfisher New Member

Wild dogs on the Skagit!!! I encountered a group of 3 yesterday, and had I had a gun I would may have had to start shooting. Instead a couple of wild swings with my spey rod and a couple bigs rocks changed there mind. Still a little unnerving. I had seen this group before at a distance but this time I don't know if I startled them or what but one of the dogs ran off, but the other two came out of the bushes pretty quick, and barked aggressively with their heads low. Never thought about packing a weapon, but scary none the less.

7. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Watch out for those dogs RX. I had seen them on the lower Sauk last year, heard they have been growing in numbers and moving around. Did you encouter them on the N side of the Skagit? Maybe they'll fill up on pink sushi and it will take a few out. Those things should be shot on sight.

8. Ty

Ty Member

My friends dad carries his Ruger .357 every year during hunting season as allowed by the exception alpinetrout mentioned. But i think there are restrictions on the size of handgun you are allowed to carry. I just remember him saying something about it. :dunno

Tyler

"Fly-fishing is the most fun you can have standing up."

- Arnold Gingrich

9. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

That applies when hunting big game only. When you're hunting and carrying a handgun, it must be of a caliber that is legal for hunting. A .357 is about the smallest legal caliber for deer and black bear. If you are carrying a gun when fishing, hiking, etc., there are no restrictions on caliber.

10. Rxfisher

Rxfisher New Member

Yep North side of the Skagit, downstream of the Sauk confluence. Last times I saw them I felt sorry for them because they were in pretty bad shape, Now I guess I still for sorry for them. They should be put down for safety sake along with the owners that dropped them off and left them for dead.

11. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    I only fly fish for catch and release so, thus far anyway, I have not had need of a firearm...

I grew up in the firearms industry. And I have been a victim of firearms violence. So I see the whole gun ownership from several differant angles. Firstly; gun laws don't work as well as they would have you think they do. Secondly; a gun is only a tool. It's your state of mind and skill as a shooter that are most important. A proper state of mind will keep you out of most avoidable situations. Especially if you are armed. Good shooting skills will prevent a bad situation from becoming worse.

I wish the world were not so dangerous a place, but the truth is that it is. Carrying a firearm in society is a terrible responsibility and I am afraid that most people who do carry are not prepared for the full consequences of that. Caliber won't matter if you arent traing with the thing on a regular basis. Most combat shoot-outs are within 20 feet of distance and are over very, very quickly. The risk to innocent bystanders is extroadinary. That takes a kind of cool that you can only achieve through diligent and consistent effort. And you need a good coach to get it right.

All this flippant talk of violence and killing: If you ever do have to shoot someone, and you do kill them- it will change your life forever. You might not be able to handle those changes very well. Think hard about that. I think that a firearm should be your absolute last resort of action, not a margin for error.

Of course I do support people's right to defend themselves and each other from unwarranted attacks of any kind. And sometimes a person just has to do what they have to do. I just feel that a great deal of humble consideration must be given to the cost.

12. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

I definately agree with you little stone.

I think owning\carrying a gun should be treated similar to driving a car. You are putting your life and others at risk of you do not know what you are doing. Like cars, drinking and guns don't mix. Gun owners should have written and hands on tests and be held to a higher level of accountability for ensuring their guns are stored and handled safely.

I once had to put down our family dog (with a gun) who was in her final days and suffering a lot of pain. Even though my wife and I both agreed it was the right thing to do, and I would do it again if I had to, it changed me in a way I can't explain. Taking a human life would surely have a much greater impact - even if the scum bag deserved it. If you are packing, and think you may ever need to pull it - you better KNOW for sure you can pull the trigger.

That said, I'm probably going to sell my hand gun (but keep my shot gun locked in my bedroom) since I have 3 young boys. Once they get old enough, I'll probably take some classes with them. Teaching kids proper respect and safe handling of guns at a young age is very important. It's the kid who picks up his friend's dad's gun and points it at his buddy and pulls the trigger because he THOUGHT it was empty or maybe the gun just goes off and he wasn't paying attention to where it was pointing... Teach your kids - just because you don't own guns, doesn't mean they will never handle one....

13. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Home Page:
    Just one question for you Little Stone...Why do you always have to be so damn reasonable???;-) ;-) ;-)

14. Native

Native Member

Who are these cranks we're scared of?

I'm not concerned about cougars or black bears when fishing. I'm not a big fan of them, but I'm confident enough with the scarcity of fatal bear/cougar attacks that I don't think a gun is worth it's weight. (I also wonder how good of a shot one could get off on an attacking cougar who are notorious for their from-behind, ambush-style assults). Needing a gun to ward off a beaver makes me laugh out loud.

The cranks out there are another story. I don't exactly know who this dangerous fraction of society actually is (locals yokels, druggies, landowners?, hobos?), but I'll agree with the majority here that there are some crazy people out there who'd I'd rather not run into.

What I would really, really want is a few documented cases where a hiker/fisherman/family went out on Saturday afternoon and got killed/maimed after a run-in with one of these crazies. Can anyone tell me such a story? Better yet, point me to a news article about such an encounter. I've been reading the newspaper for a long time and don't remember ever hearing about any guy who came accross a weirdo and didn't come home. A lot of people here have sited this danger as a reason to carry a firearm, so where does this fear come from?

I'm really not for or against taking guns fishing, I just want to know, where's the beef?

15. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

RiverFishing

That IS a really frustrating quality abour LS, isn't it?
    ;-)
    But you know, he's the only one who got the REAL question...whether you should bring a handgun to subdue your fish. I know some of the carp that Keith (wrench) caught were so darn ugly I wished I'd had a gun to shoot them and thereby spare us their collective misery. Poor bastards.
    I personally think the guys who hunt carp with bow and arrows are onto something...

Mike :rofl :rofl :rofl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.