Fishing around the Sunriver-Redmond, Or in mid May

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Mark Walker, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Better half an I will be in the area for a week's stay. Looking for fishing input.
    Thank you.

2. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

Depends on what you like. For now my favorite is the Crooked. 38 miles from Redmond to the Bowman Dam (end of fishery). 7 miles of fishable water with 11 recreation sites, each with a vault toilet. And fish... Lots and lots of fish. They aren't huge. Most are about 10", but they really like dries. Fun on a 3 wt. Water's a little milky (always) which means the fish don't spook easily, but they can still see flies on the surface.
    If you also like beer, the Fin and Fire fly shop in Redmond has 36 taps.

3. Duane J

Duane J Member

I agree with DennisE. If you are coming up "97" and have some floating devise
    Diamond Lake as well as East Lake are good still water stops. Diamond Lake has overnight facilities and very decent restaurant. East Lake has a pretty dependable mid-morning hatch (weather cooperating) and is closer to Sun River. Good luck and I know you will enjoy.

4. Mark Walker

Dennis/Duane; thank you for the info.
    Kinda surprised there hasn't been more replies to this.......

5. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

This is the Washington site after all...try Westfly...

Bet ya get more responses... ;)

6. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Central OR has some out standing fishing be it still water or streams.
    Checks the regs. for open water, get out a good map, make some calls to fly shops for what might be working for that time of year.
    I have fished Fall River and have done well on dries and nymphs, there used to be some big browns closer to the mouth of the Little Deschutes.
    I have a good friend that lives in Bend and he fishes the Crooked a lot and always has a really good time.
    Enjoy all there is to do and see.

7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

You'll be in the trout Mecca area of Oregon. It's difficult to list all your options. There's both stillwater and rivers for your options.

Good grief, when it comes to rivers you have, of course, The Deschutes -- lower, middle and upper (Oregon's only real blue ribbon river trout fishery). The Metolius. The Crooked. Fall River. ...and others that are not so well known.

When it comes to stillwaters, you have all the lakes along Century Drive including, Hosmer, Crane, Wick, Davis, Lava, Little Lava, etc. Plus, you also have East on the eastern side of Bend.

Problem is, there's simple too many fisheries to cover in a post. I've spent years fishing Central Oregon in the very area you'll be staying and there is no way I can cover all your fishing possibility bases.

There simply isn't a single fishery that is best for where you'll be staying. They're all good. It's similar to staying at West Yellowstone and asking the best place to fish.

8. the central oregonian

the central oregonian Member

Mid may in central Oregon is prime time....Like Gene said, too many options to list....If you have a preference....lakes, rivers, browns, rainbows etc then it would be easier to narrow it down a bit.....

Big things happening would probably be possible drakes and definite pmd's on Metolius....PMD's and BWO's on the crooked..ditto on the fall river..Hard to say where exactly the lakes are going to be. Depends on what the weather is doing. But it will be somewhere between midges, flying ants, callibeatis and streamers...
    Really good chance of having way above average success on the lakes that time of year. The fish are going to be hungry....

9. Mark Walker

Lots of good info!
    Our thanks to you.

10. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Heading down to Prineville Reservoir this weekend, hope to fish the Crooked two days and catch the Deschutes on the way back to Portlandia for a few hours on the third day. Fished the "D" last weekend without much luck but was a bit early for the Salmon fly action. Pretty pumped for the next three weeks. Hitting the John Day for a 3 day float first full weekend of June. Got a new 6 wt. bamboo stick just for those smallies :D

11. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Bamboo for smallies???? Well, that's like using a fine sable artist brush to paint in a coloring book. Geez. :)

later_Peter and Mark Moore like this.
  12. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Portland has a famous elephant that paint's with his trunk.... eye of the beholder I guess:)