Fishing for steelhead in the sun....

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by JesseC, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

We don't have the bright fish on the dry side that you west-siders enjoy but we do experience a lot of bright days. I use longer leaders and bright colors on such days in clear water; I also tend to favor more sparsely-tied patterns.

2. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

just fish. steelhead are amazing at blowing up any preconceptions of what they will and won't do.

worst case you'll just be recharging your low NW vitamin D levels.

Andy D, Chris Johnson and Pat Lat like this.
  3. fishbadger

fishbadger Active Member

What he said! Winter fish don't give a shit. . .at least the ones I'm lucky enough to find don't. Summers are a different critter though,

fb

4. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    I like conditions that allow me to fish. Summmer or winter, they can see a fly in clear water. Wild fish bite better in my experience .

I try to fish for wild fish in water where they can see the fly.

Results may vary.

Go Sox,
    cds

5. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

Dont over think it... work through the run quickly looking for the agressive fish

6. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

My first time out on the Hoh It was sunny, warm, windy and clear. I threw the biggest fly I had, which was a fly I actually tied for Pike, on a Saltwater hook no less. I threw it because it was the biggest baitfish pattern I had and I just felt like fishing something huge. It was long, tied with white and gray Icelandic Sheep hair, silver Chrystal flash and big red lead eyes and it had a red cross cut rabbit strip for a collar. Totally contrary to what anyone I know would throw for a Steelhead, but I had to. So I cast up from a pool and let the current drop my fly from a riffle into the pool (at the head), I wanted to get down deep....aaaaand, plunge it went, 1 one thousand, 2 etc etc and then I started stripping (my fly ;)), as I saw that sucker come up glistening in the sun, this friggin' steelhead ambushed it from below, boom! Fish on! I saw the whole thing. Sun of a gun was huge, started yelling at my buddy to get him over with the net, hassle, hustle, tussle tussle. Brought him in, released that sucker and off he was. I was freakin' out, hell my heart nearly stopped when I saw the ambush. Needless to say, we talked about it for years. Weather conditions never stop me from fishing, and my tactics depend more on what I feel like doing than adjusting to conditions. I throw weird junk out there just to see what will happen... I just can't help it. I fish whatever I feel like fishing, most of the time it's experimental. The way I see it is that fish are predators, If you can get them interested in your offering they will smack it, you just have to be where they are and that is the challenge. In this case I don't think that fish was able to resist the undulating action of the Icelandic sheep hair, that stuff rules! :D

Anyhow, point being, sun or no sun, they need to eat and will if they are there and you bring it right.

JesseC and plaegreid like this.
  7. Shad

Shad Active Member

There are some colors that are just plain good colors. Black, purple (any shade), royal blue, and red make my list. Those colors are highly visible in colored water and subtle in clear water, so in my mind, they solve both sides of the water conditions argument. Anytime there is a doubt, I default to one of those colors. Pink's usually good, too, but especially in clear water. That said, in colored water, I usually like to mix in chartreuse and/or bright orange for contrast and added visibility.

I don't think this is an absolute, but I do think there's some credence to the idea that steelhead get increasingly "trouty" with more time in the river, and they start to favor more subtle colors and presentations. It seems like fresh fish will eat just about anything if given half a chance. Whatever you fish, it's probably wise not to think the reason for slow or dead action is your fly. There are so many factors we can't control at work when a fish decides whether or not to eat that you probably do well to use something you are confident in fishing until you have a good reason to do otherwise.

8. straight to the deep slots with a yarnie and bead

9. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Trailed behind a squidro.

NateTreat likes this.
  10. i don't feel its proper edicate to trail a bead and yarn with a squidro. A squidro is not a true purist dead drift pattern

Alexander and Chawhee like this.
  11. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Norcal after sept 15th.. Bare wading with sandals and a cooler full of beer. It's 85-100 degrees every day..

Copper is my go to color in the sun.

Lex and Pat Lat like this.
  12. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

SOP,
    Red,yes but I would say....over ripe tomato.
    Jesse, In glacial water, small. Like a size 6, and sparse. In clear water I don't really care, just get where the boats aren't. (yes, there are such places).
    Shad, we should go spring catching soon, maybe a walk in.

JesseC likes this.
  13. NateTreat

NateTreat Banned or Parked

Orange. Big and fluffy. It's never let me down in the summer. Just find somewhere where the fish haven't been trampled.

14. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Since it's no longer exclusively about winter fish I'll throw out a couple opinions. Sun and steelhead, or any scaled riverine inhabitant for that matter, don't like bright sun in their eyes...do you? Sun location and angle have a huge impact. If the sun is directly behind your fly the fish has to look into the bright. All flies are black in this instance and the fish don't really want to concentrate on it because it's in the bright spot. Once the sun moves over the top or to the side things change. If the fish isn't looking directly into the sun when you're swinging you'll have a much better chance at gaining attention to your fly, suppose it applies to beads and nymphs under a bobber too. I don't believe fly color has anything to do with catching fish in most situations.

Orange and spawning fish change everything though.

bennysbuddy likes this.
  15. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

Another vote for red.. or red and purple.