Fishing report from Virginia

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by trevally, Apr 8, 2009.

1. trevally

trevally New Member

Home Page:
    Well, I've been on the water quite a lot lately; tying knots, making streamside meals, tying knots, netting fish, taking photos, freeing flies from snags, tying knots, freeing flies from trees, tying knots, and enjoying time on the water (my office away from my office). It has been great. I enjoy what I do immensely.

The latest bugs fluttering about have been early black stoneflies, craneflies, cream and black midges, BWO's, and some spring mayflies (hennies, quill gordons, March browns, etc.) but things are running a little behind due to the temps.

The water levels have been great. If we are in a drought my name is Winn Dixie. In fact, I dont think I have ever seen such a vast amount of water for such a long period. The 10 and 11 percent micro brews could be talking though ::).

Another thing I have noticed, I am seeing a lot more holdover fish. Sure, their not 'wild' but I still believe a trout that has been in the stream for six months or more is just as acclimatized as a wild fish would be, just more difficult to catch. Wild fish are simple to catch if your approach and presentation are up to snuff; wild fish will eat anything that appears to be cheeseburgeresk, just like the Hamburglar.

Productive patterns include black and/or olive wooly buggers, Hise's butt ugly boogers, Hise's hetero-genius nymphs, Thornton scuds, eggi juan kenobi's, zebra midges, micro mays, Bent Rod Media micro bro's, Hise's ooey caddis, and squirmy wormies.

Here are a few pics of some happy clients (and fish). Ass beaters in the true sense of the words. Peace and beer until next time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's all about being out there. Enjoy your time on the water whether you're catching 4 inch brook char or 4 to 10 pound rod bending, ass whoopers.

2. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Nice fish dude.

3. west_jay

west_jay Member

Question: What's with the "net glove" on tail hand?

4. Rob Zelk

Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

Oh it just helps you hold onto the fish. Nice photos!!

5. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

"Fishing report from Virginia"

I'm a former denizen of the New River and Roanoke Valley areas. Where were these shots taken?

Nice fish, BTW.

6. agent montana

agent montana This Must be a sickness!! MARINATE!!!

I was wondering the same think Mike. I actually spent all last summer running up and down the New River. I am completely Hooked. Will be back again this year...

7. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

If that's Virginia, it's pay-to-play.

8. Mike Etgen

AM, you're making me homesick. I wentt back in mid-October 2008 for a few days, and although I didn't have the opportunity to fish, It was great to be home. I probably could have hooked up some football tickets if Va. Tech had been home but it was a bye week.

I'm glad you've liked it. I've got the try the New with a flyrod next time back.

9. Mike Etgen

You might be on to something. I'd totally forgotten about a place I heard of, somewhere in southwestern Virginia, where the owners stocked a lengthy section of a creek within their property boundaries with large fish and allowed a limited number of well-paying guests in each day - like four to six. I never went but heard about it from fairly credible sources. Seeing as you're in Richmond, I don't know how much you know about the rest of the state (no offense intended, just thinking maybe you're a recent arrival) Anyway, this creek was in Pulaski, Bland, Wythe, or Carroll County. Definitely west of Blacksburg.

10. HMCFisherman

HMCFisherman Member

I'm guessing private stretch of one of the tribs to the Jackson River near Covington, VA. Private water with a fairly pricey rod fee, but big fish easy to hand.

11. agent montana

agent montana This Must be a sickness!! MARINATE!!!

I konw there are rivers that are stocked with Toads but my understanding is that the gear guys take over those areas. I think you guys are right..This is a pay to play situation...Thos fish don't look like they been running up and down raceways...

12. west_jay

west_jay Member

Rose River Farm is one, but these pics look like they're from somewhere else.
    http://www.roseriverfarm.com/

13. Mike Etgen

I thought about the Jackson later. I remember reading that some of those river properties and the access rights were traced way back to grants from the King of England and owners had used those old, old deeds to trump the state's "navigable waterways" laws that generally allow anyone to be on any river, anywhere, regardless if it passes through private property.

I know we've kicked that topic around in ths board many times, but I don't think the King got his hands on any PAcNW lands. ;)

14. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Home Page:
    those are some serious 'bows'. nice work

15. katiekat

katiekat New Member

Wow! Nice fishes you got there. I guess, you were one lucky dude that day. Happy fishing everyday and always...